11 replies to this topic

#1 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 05:10 PM

This is my engine steady-bar. The top one that attaches near the clutch slave cylinder. I've put those blue things in (which I think I got from Minispares). They're kind of one-piece and went in OK but the hole in the middle is much too big for the bolt and too small for those tapered rubber things that came out of the old one.

Most diagrams of this imply there's supposed to be a metal bushing in the middle. I'm wondering if the ones that came off were some kind of aftermarket deal? Those tapered things look like a good design but not factory. And perhaps my Minispares bushes are meant for the lower steady bar?

What should I do? It's very important this is tight or the exhaust gets all chowdered up at the flange within miles. Get the right parts if these are the wrong ones? Try and make some bushings on my minilathe?

Attached Files

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,990 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 January 2023 - 06:40 PM

Where is the metal tube? You need it.

the wedge design was a cheap aftermarket thing that was not that good.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:09 PM

The after-market cones made the engine steady cut into the subsequently deformed rubber bush, which then disintegrated.

Another after-market improvement was a barrel shaped tube, which worked well, but needed Fairy Liquid in order to assemble it.

#4 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:03 PM

This is the picture of the bushes on the Minispares website:

Attached File  steadybarbushes.jpeg   10.83K   1 downloads

And it states:

Our uprated kit includes four replacement polyurethane bushes plus 2 new sleeves for the arm. These may be the last bushes you'll ever buy.

Edited by gazza82, 20 January 2023 - 08:05 PM.

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:07 PM

And these are the "performance" bushes .. the type DeadSquare mentions above:

Attached File  performancebushes.jpeg   10.72K   4 downloads

#6 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:51 PM

attachicon.gif performancebushes.jpeg

I have these fitted to my mini, I found the polyurethane bushes transmitted more vibration into the car.

#7 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:52 PM

This is the picture of the bushes on the Minispares website:

attachicon.gif steadybarbushes.jpeg

And it states:

Our uprated kit includes four replacement polyurethane bushes plus 2 new sleeves for the arm. These may be the last bushes you'll ever buy.

Yes mine don't look like that. I think mine might be meant to be for the lower tie bar? They're just one piece (but are made of that blue stuff). I might just get some of the correct ones.

#8 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:27 AM

I think these are the ones I got actually:

https://www.moss-eur...-crc5329sp.html

They are supposed to work on the top steady bar. But you're meant to have the metal tube. I didn't have any because the bar that came off had those aftermarket conical things. Probably going to try and make some tubes out of metal or maybe aluminium.

#9 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 02:35 PM

Fit a DSN alloy steady bar set

#10 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 03:29 PM

Just tried fitting a pair of these to an upper steady bar but they are still slack in the hole, even when tightened down.  Back to the original taper tube type I think and keep a good eye on them.  I might be able to use the performance bushes on the lower front steady bar but the inner tubes need to be drilled out to 3/8"

#11 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 05:10 PM

Just tried fitting a pair of these to an upper steady bar but they are still slack in the hole, even when tightened down.  Back to the original taper tube type I think and keep a good eye on them.  I might be able to use the performance bushes on the lower front steady bar but the inner tubes need to be drilled out to 3/8"

Mine are now nice and tight after I made some custom tubes. I don't know what the size is supposed to be of the proper part (21A1108) so I went with 13.5mm OD, 8mm ID and 20mm length. The 20mm length is the width of the actual casting so it allows the blue stuff to squash at the sides. I think this is important. You could try shortening your tubes. 13.5mm OD is a tight fit but I could squeeze them in fairly easily with a vice and a bit of that grease they give you. Anyway I think it went well because I can't now rock the engine by hand.

Attached File  bush.jpg   70.66K   0 downloadsAttached File  bush2.jpg   47.44K   0 downloads

#12 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 08:12 PM

I think the tubes on the "peformance" bushes are bonded into the rubber.  If I  try to drill them out to 3/8" maybe they'll come loose....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users