Photo
- - - - -

Overhead Dome Light - What Is Missing From Mine?

Best Answer soulslinga , 25 January 2023 - 01:20 AM

I think from this what you need to do is pull the purple wire out complete with its ferrule, then turn the ferrule around like in the link KTS posted above.

Next remove the black wire from the screw (put the screw back here) and the put another screw with he black wire where the purple wire started, this gives you your permanent earth for the switch on the light to work and turn the light on when the doors are closed.

Only thing I would do just to be safe is check that he purple is the live and the purple and white is going to the door switches, thats how it should be but just in case someone has messed with it elsewhere it would be good to test that.

let there be light!! that seemed to work. thanks for all the help!! 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 soulslinga

soulslinga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 09:55 PM

hello - inside my interior dome/ceiling light (which isnt working) i believe i must be missing some kind of small metal piece that makes contact to one end of the light bulb. if you look inside mine, one end of the bulb is only making contact with plastic bits. 

doesnt seem to be metal there to make contact with, think i am missing a piece, but maybe i'm wrong. the bulb also doesnt seem to stay in place on its own, seeming to confirm my suspicions. 

can anyone say if something appears to be missing here ? 

Attached Files

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:36 PM

This shows what's missing - doesn't show how it connects to the 12v supply though..

https://minisport.co...p-exchange-only

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,741 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:24 AM

Hollow brass ferrule,the bared wires poke through it and fan out.Steve..

#4 soulslinga

soulslinga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:41 PM

Hollow brass ferrule,the bared wires poke through it and fan out.Steve..

Thanks for that - so is that something that a regular ferrule would fix ? Or is that a speciality type of ferrule?
So would this one work for example (assuming I got the right size)
https://www.leevalle...-brass-ferrules

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,741 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:52 PM

Just like that,Steve..

#6 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:35 PM

Looking at that shouldn't the hole where the solid purple wire connects to actually have a screw through to the body with the black wire on it and then the purple wire and ferrurle goes on the end of the lamp?

The way it appears to be connected would suggest that when you operate the switch and the door is open it would short out the circuit by joining the purple and purple and white wires directly together.

The purple wire should be on one end of the lamp, the puple and white on the other (as it is already) and when the door opens the circuit is made and the light comes on.

The brass bar that goes across the switch where the current purple wire is connected should be earthed with he black wire and so when the door is closed and you turn the switch on it permanently earths the lamp and it comes on.

Looks like you have all the right components but not necessarily in all the right order.

Edited by Homersimpson, 21 January 2023 - 09:37 PM.

#7 soulslinga

soulslinga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 03:32 PM

Looking at that shouldn't the hole where the solid purple wire connects to actually have a screw through to the body with the black wire on it and then the purple wire and ferrurle goes on the end of the lamp?

The way it appears to be connected would suggest that when you operate the switch and the door is open it would short out the circuit by joining the purple and purple and white wires directly together.

The purple wire should be on one end of the lamp, the puple and white on the other (as it is already) and when the door opens the circuit is made and the light comes on.

The brass bar that goes across the switch where the current purple wire is connected should be earthed with he black wire and so when the door is closed and you turn the switch on it permanently earths the lamp and it comes on.

Looks like you have all the right components but not necessarily in all the right order.

hello - thank you for this info! so it makes sense but i'm trying to figure out what to actually do. are you saying to physically move that black cable to the other screw hole ? also, fyi that other little empty hole i believe was originally a screw hole because the whole fixture spins freely, its only secured with one screw. Also , would i still need a ferrule of some kind? I'm also confused as to what would physically connected to the other side of the bulb. i really appreciate the help! 

#8 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:12 PM

hello - thank you for this info! so it makes sense but i'm trying to figure out what to actually do. are you saying to physically move that black cable to the other screw hole ? also, fyi that other little empty hole i believe was originally a screw hole because the whole fixture spins freely, its only secured with one screw. Also , would i still need a ferrule of some kind? I'm also confused as to what would physically connected to the other side of the bulb. i really appreciate the help! 

I think from this what you need to do is pull the purple wire out complete with its ferrule, then turn the ferrule around like in the link KTS posted above.

Next remove the black wire from the screw (put the screw back here) and the put another screw with he black wire where the purple wire started, this gives you your permanent earth for the switch on the light to work and turn the light on when the doors are closed.

Only thing I would do just to be safe is check that he purple is the live and the purple and white is going to the door switches, thats how it should be but just in case someone has messed with it elsewhere it would be good to test that.

#9 soulslinga

soulslinga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 01:20 AM   Best Answer

let there be light!! that seemed to work. thanks for all the help!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users