2 replies to this topic

#1 LMNC

LMNC

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 11:17 PM

had an odd one this week with my relatively recently acquired mini.

initially from brake vibration i got the hubs off and found a spacer between the hub and outer cv. this sent me on a bit of a wild goose chase as to why that was there. as when i took it out, reassembled and did some other jobs, i popped it in reverse and that bumbadumbabum sound from the driveshaft not mating with the inner cv pot on the side where the spacer was.. 

after a bit of looking around fearing the worst i noticed that one of the engine mounts had an automatic subframe conversion bracket, and the other side didn't. this got me undoing both engine mounts and wiggling it around trying different orientations. normal mounts both sides etc, to see if the engine would shift to the side that the driveshaft was not quite mating with the cv pot

after a little while i came to the conclusion it didn't need the automatic brackets at all, in fact 2 brackets would not fit. and just needed new standard engine mounts.

now it works perfectly fine and the engine is sat where it's meant to be. 

what is confusing is i'm pretty sure the subframe is an automatic subframe, well at least it looks like one, the side members look like automatic side members, but i notice the front cross member looks more like a manual cross member as there are no bends to make space at the front for the auto gearbox. 

im just curious if there are other variations on subframes i am not aware of, for instance a manual subframe that has side members that look more like an auto subframe.

Edited by LMNC, 26 January 2023 - 11:42 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,990 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:00 AM

Post up pictures as that is the easiest way to understand what might have happened.

all autos used the same gearbox so had the same subframe.

But subframes have been modified to do different things. Raise engines. Lower engines move engines forward or rearward or even to tilt the engine to equal driveshaft angles.

#3 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 03:22 PM

Friend of mine uses an auto subframe without the auto brackets, just so the engine can sit lower than normal. This is for a Hill Climb  or race car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users