23 replies to this topic

#1 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:08 PM

Does anyone know where to get a tensioner for a Vernier duplex chain? The one that sells Minispares clearly says that it is for a single chain.
Regards
10fd541970bdbc1e7e8d6f2ac1879305d5eccfd2

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,973 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:12 PM

As best I know, the Dulpex ones have not been available since the 1990's. I've only ever run a Simplex tensioner here (some going back to the early 80's) and never had an issue, but all those I have run have been genuine. Some people have had issues with after-market items.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:57 PM

I don't recall ever having seen a duplex one

#4 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 06:18 PM

Thanks. It seems that wanting to give the best explanation I can't get them to understand me well.
What I want is a tensioner like the one in the photo.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,973 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 06:31 PM

I don't recall ever having seen a duplex one

I've not seen one either, Des Hamil refers to them in one of his books, apparently they were made for a Metro Racing series.

Thanks. It seems that wanting to give the best explanation I can't get them to understand me well.
What I want is a tensioner like the one in the photo.

That's a simplex tensioner.

#6 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:07 PM

Ok. What I don't want is for the tensioner to break, because I've read that in old threads in this Forum. So the question is: I'm doing the right thing fitting a tensioner like the one in the photo?

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,973 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:33 PM

Ok. What I don't want is for the tensioner to break, because I've read that in old threads in this Forum. So the question is: I'm doing the right thing fitting a tensioner like the one in the photo?

If you want to fit on then you have to fit the A+ front plate and use the A+ timing gear cover.

from what I understand you have an A series front plate and cover. So unless you go for the DSN or MED cover you can’t fit a tensioner anyway.

#8 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 08:32 PM

If you want to fit on then you have to fit the A+ front plate and use the A+ timing gear cover.

from what I understand you have an A series front plate and cover. So unless you go for the DSN or MED cover you can’t fit a tensioner anyway.

The MED cover doesn't won't take a tensioner.

Attached Files

#9 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 09:13 PM

Yes Nick. I'm going to fit a new A+ front plate and this timing cover:

photogrid-collagemaker-photocollage-squa

#10 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 09:19 PM

The MED cover doesn't won't take a tensioner.
Cheers imack! Beautiful engine. Unfortunately I couldn't get that timing cover from MED. IT is out of stock.

Edited by PACINO, 31 January 2023 - 09:21 PM.

#11 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 09:33 PM

How high are you going to be revving the engine.  I recall people advising the use of tensioners on lower revving engines but not on high revving engines.

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,051 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 January 2023 - 10:29 PM

I once had the pressure pad on a simplex tensioner split when used on a high-revving duplex chain set-up. I assumed it was because the points of contact are normally on each side of the pad with a simplex chain, but in the centre there is a single line of contact. Probably not a problem so long as a quality tensioner is fitted and changed regularly.

#13 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 10:30 PM

Hi Umburnt! This Mini is not for competition. It is for daily use, mainly for the city, and small trips. It is true that I like to go at a high speed but, I doubt that I will go beyond 6k rpm.
Cheers
Luis

#14 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 10:31 PM

Thanks Cooperman! Yes, I read this afternoon what you think about this in an old thread.
Tomorrow I'm going to ask where I bought the duplex chain Vernier (MED) if it is mandatory to adapt the tensioner, or not.
Regards
Luis

Edited by PACINO, 31 January 2023 - 10:43 PM.

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,973 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 11:31 PM

Yes.

The one in my wife's Moke has done near on 300 000 km without issue.

The one in my own Moke has done just over 150 000 km without issue.

These engines regularly see 6000 RPM and cruise for weeks at a time on 4000 RPM.

They are originals though from the 80's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users