5 replies to this topic

#1 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 06:37 PM

Hi guys, I'm currently collecting parts for my Morris Ital van that I'm boosting. I will be using a good old T3 turbo.

10 years ago I did the same on my mini, using a genuine 1275 metro turbo block and pistons. I was running 14psi of boost and was a good laugh, it had a modified head, cam, brand new T3. I never had it on the rolling road but from others running a similar spec I guessed it was around the 140bhp mark. Didn't know what the compression ratio was on it.. a bit silly I know.

My question is what compression ratio should I am for, I know that a too low compression ratio will cause it to a bit of a dog off boost, but I don't really mind that, (to a certain extent) I was thinking around 8.1:1 C/R and running around 18/20psi. I have seen others running even lower and obviously gaining more power.

Also what spec cylinder head would you go for regarding what size valves.

So the spec I am going for with this build is-

A+ 1293cc
Reconditioned T3 turbo
(Cylinder head undecided on spec)
+20 Forged omega 18cc Pistons
Ph2 turbo cam
Aldon turbo dizzy
big front mount intercooler
Swiftune alloy/alloy duplex
2" maniflow exhaust system
ARP con rod bolts
ARP 11 head stud kit

Final drive 3.6:1

Thanks.

#2 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 18 February 2023 - 08:56 PM

200 bhp? For how long …

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:24 AM

200 bhp? For how long …

Loads of A series turbo engines are 200bhp+ now. Just need to make sure its fuelled and cooled correctly.

#4 Nial81

Nial81

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 10:19 AM

Going for that power I'd think you'd want to ditch the dizzy for a 3d mappable ignition system and a more modern turbo than a T3 like 1752 will make that power more efficiently. Managing heat and ignition properly will allow a higher CR. I'd think you'd need some gearbox mods to run that power and an RTS clutch.

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 February 2023 - 01:54 PM

The gt20 is far better for 200bhp

#6 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 03:22 PM

Going for that power I'd think you'd want to ditch the dizzy for a 3d mappable ignition system and a more modern turbo than a T3 like 1752 will make that power more efficiently. Managing heat and ignition properly will allow a higher CR. I'd think you'd need some gearbox mods to run that power and an RTS clutch.

It's going in a Marina van , so the cooling won't be a problem, RTS clutch isn't relevant and the gearbox will be the best bit of the build, I agree about the mappable ignition though, it'll be well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users