dimmad83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 11:01 AM

Dear all, 

I would like to ask the title question. 

Did anyone use an Austin Rover Si injection of the years 1990-1995  on a Mini Spi? 

The Module looks identical, I will assume that the Bosch injector will be different capacity in cc/min  since I can not find the part number of the Rover's injector type.

This came up because I am running supper Rich on my 1993 Spi and since off all the Vacuums, Sensors, fuel lines and ECU itself is checked the last resort is the fuel pressure regulator.

So I am thinking to check it by using an Austin Rover 214 Si injection module.     

Thank you all. 

#2 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 12:46 PM

Hello, Unfortunately I don't know the 214 Si, but I can't imagine that you cannot repair the SPI system that everything works as intended. What previous knowledge do you have with electrics and computers. Can you solder? If so, get a USB-TTL Converter for 5 volts and a plug to the diagnostic connection or install the diagnostic connection to another pair of plugs. There are free diagnosis software for Android and PC.

These can save the selected data in a log file. If you put such a file for us, we may be able to help you.

It would be interesting whether you only drive short distances and the engine stays cold or whether it gets warm. The control of the engine control system only works from a certain water temperature, but this could easily be read out of a log file.

The complete cable is sold on ebay.uk too.If you will work with an android you need an OTG cable too.

#3 dimmad83

dimmad83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 06:10 AM

Hello, Unfortunately I don't know the 214 Si, but I can't imagine that you cannot repair the SPI system that everything works as intended. What previous knowledge do you have with electrics and computers. Can you solder? If so, get a USB-TTL Converter for 5 volts and a plug to the diagnostic connection or install the diagnostic connection to another pair of plugs. There are free diagnosis software for Android and PC.

These can save the selected data in a log file. If you put such a file for us, we may be able to help you.

It would be interesting whether you only drive short distances and the engine stays cold or whether it gets warm. The control of the engine control system only works from a certain water temperature, but this could easily be read out of a log file.

The complete cable is sold on ebay.uk too.If you will work with an android you need an OTG cable too.

Hello genpop,

I have the Diag Usb socket, this is how I am checking the sensors.

I have also paid for the Mems Diag in  android and I got the PC version also.

The readings I get is Lambda on 1070mv Constantly, Map jumping up and down since the Idle is not steady due to over fuel, water temp on reading normally and air temp the same.

Errors to the sensor none apon start up

Errors on the   sensor after 30 min of riding. Lambda map red due to the over fuel issue , But of you rev it around 3500 to 4000 all works except lambda after some seconds due to Over fueling goes again to 1070mV

By Plugin a spare ECU I got the same readings, so ECU issue is exempt,

I will check all the sensors again, but the only Item that make sense is the fuel pressure regulator that goes with the injector element.

All the Mono point injection cars of Rover around 1990s 100/214/414 they use the same system visually at least. 

That's why I am asking if there is any person with knowledge on this. 

#4 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:05 AM

As well I would change the lambda probe to a real Bosch one.

Measure the line pressure of the incoming fuel.A cheap gauge is enough.Needs to measure only up to 1,5 bar.

I would not change the injection element, as you have to set the stepper new.

#5 dimmad83

dimmad83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 07:59 PM

As well I would change the lambda probe to a real Bosch one.

Measure the line pressure of the incoming fuel.A cheap gauge is enough.Needs to measure only up to 1,5 bar.

I would not change the injection element, as you have to set the stepper new.

A bit late, but here is the link for the ECU data.  https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#6 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 06:15 AM

Within  "More Reply Options" you may post the file here.Please save the log as txt file.

If you open your file in excel you will see that the map readings are too high. Possibly the fuel trap is glogged or the map sensor is full of fuel.But you mentioned you had tested with a different ecu so I think the fuel trap is glogged or you have the wrong connection of the vacuum lines at the throttle body.In addition, did you change the lambda sensor?I wonder because your log file says closed loop but with steady 1048 mV you can not have closed loop!

Edited by genpop, 08 August 2023 - 06:36 AM.

#7 madazv8

madazv8

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 11:38 AM

Hello genpop,

I have the Diag Usb socket, this is how I am checking the sensors.

I have also paid for the Mems Diag in  android and I got the PC version also.

The readings I get is Lambda on 1070mv Constantly, Map jumping up and down since the Idle is not steady due to over fuel, water temp on reading normally and air temp the same.

Errors to the sensor none apon start up

Errors on the   sensor after 30 min of riding. Lambda map red due to the over fuel issue , But of you rev it around 3500 to 4000 all works except lambda after some seconds due to Over fueling goes again to 1070mV

By Plugin a spare ECU I got the same readings, so ECU issue is exempt,

I will check all the sensors again, but the only Item that make sense is the fuel pressure regulator that goes with the injector element.

All the Mono point injection cars of Rover around 1990s 100/214/414 they use the same system visually at least. 

That's why I am asking if there is any person with knowledge on this. 

This sounds very similar to what I experienced.  Turned out that the "new" water temp sensor was to blame.  Even though it appeared to be reading correctly on the diag tool.  When swapped out for a good genuine sensor the idle and Lambda issues went away.  I can't explain how that is possible... didn't make a lot of sense to me,  but this fixed the car.

https://www.theminif...ady-high-840mv/

#8 dimmad83

dimmad83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 05:48 PM

Edited by dimmad83, 08 August 2023 - 07:03 PM.

#9 dimmad83

dimmad83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 07:05 PM

Hello all,
Update from yesterday's file.

This data were pulled today after the following actions.
Replacement of all vacuum lines with 3 mm internal size ones.
Replacement of all spark plugs with new NGKs.
Clean up all the plugs with spray.
Now, these data are from cold start-up to 85 Celsius in manifold coolant.
A new discovery was that when I was revving slowly, the mems show idle and not active throttle until I rev up to 3000rpm.

Also, the Map in idle is out when revving is green.

Tomorrow I will check stepper motor for the throttle issue.

Lambda new
Water temp new
Vacuum lines new

Spark plugs new

Tested with 2 different relay boxes to avoid the scenario of the lambda relay to be off.

I believe I do not forget something

I had a faulty coil that was causing the tacho jumping up and down, but I had a spare one and is fine now.

Tomorrow, stepper motor check for rust..

At the end of August I will visit a technician to calibrate the stepper and to replace the new lambda with a newer lambda just to be safe since I do not have vehicle elevation means available to do it my self

The file is here because the CSV and XLS are not permitted to upload   https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#10 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:04 AM

rename it txt and you may upload it here.

Adjust the stepper :https://memsfcr.co.u...-stepper-motor/

IAC and map are too high on idle

log until water temperature is  about 90

Edited by genpop, 09 August 2023 - 06:30 AM.

#11 dimmad83

dimmad83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:21 AM

rename it txt and you may upload it here.

Adjust the stepper :https://memsfcr.co.u...-stepper-motor/

IAC and map are too high on idle

log until water temperature is  about 90

Thanks mate, will do later today.

Just QQ where is the "0" with the adjustment extended fully to the motor side or with the adjuster fully closed ???

#12 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 08:38 AM

I thaught this https://memsfcr.co.u...epper-motor/  

is explaining it .

In my opinion   closed< bracket > open   gap between stepper pin and screw

#13 dimmad83

dimmad83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:03 PM

And after setting the stepper motor and removing all the "gummed" dirt from the fuel trap, still the map is out and the lambda maxed 

I have 2 set of values, 1 after the calibration of the stepper and 1 driving it.

Attached Files

#14 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:08 PM

Everything looks good without the map and the lambda voltage.Before you change the probe you could do one thing. Change the two relais on the bulkhead. One is for the lambda probe heater , the other is for the elektric fan. Test if there is current on the socket for the relais.

#15 dimmad83

dimmad83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:19 PM

Everything looks good without the map and the lambda voltage.Before you change the probe you could do one thing. Change the two relais on the bulkhead. One is for the lambda probe heater , the other is for the elektric fan. Test if there is current on the socket for the relais.

The fan is working fine since was engaged when was necessary, you mean to swap them correct ?  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users