Photo
- - - - -

More Electrical Gremlins.

Best Answer Ricester , 23 March 2023 - 11:43 AM

The wire to the speedo only feed indication lamps and gauges, they will never reach 5 amps. If you’re having several issues always start by checking the earth connections which are common to several items.

Viz thanks for this. It’s really obvious once someone points it out. But yes - the issue was a crap earth for the main loom. Once I took ALL of the paint off and had the earth loop directly onto the body rather than a washer, everything worked.

This has been playing on my mind for days now so thanks very much. As I said, extremely obvious once it’s pointed out, but there you go! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ricester

Ricester

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:06 PM

Hey,

So I’m far from an electrician.

What type of connectors are people using to wire their main loom to their centre binnacle speedo?

I still have issues with the electrics of my car and I think.. it me…. Shock. I’ve created an issue. I used crimps and red bullets for every connection between the speedo and the main loom. These are 5amp connectors, every one of them. The cheap ones from Halfords. From the lights to the temp indicator, the wires to the voltage stabiliser the lot, all 5 amp connectors.

Looking at an old loom the connectors are brass long bullet ones.

Do the long brass connectors carry more amps and am I starving my electrical system using these 5 amp connectors?

If these are rubbish, can someone please tell me what to use instead?! Happy to spend cash and do it properly. I looked on mini sport and the only connectors they have are 8amp and 20amp. Which should I be using? Many thanks.

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:22 PM

Can't see how those 5 amp connectors would cause an issue unless you haven't crimped them properly. I've used them on a couple of modern vehicles to add relays, etc and they have been ok.

#3 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:41 PM

The wire to the speedo only feed indication lamps and gauges, they will never reach 5 amps. If your having several issues always start by checking the earth connections which are common to several items.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 08:08 AM

As said, those connectors are more than up to the job, but they do need to be well crimped - have you used a proper tool or just a pair of pliers?

A length of chocolate-block screw connectors would be fine for behind the cluster and may be a more reliable connection if you only have basic tools.

The earths are important as viz139 says

#5 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:10 AM

1. Have you checked the wire's with a multimeterfor voltage ?
2. Have you checked the speedo for proper earth with a multimeter ? ( as has been stated )
Definitely worth investing in a multimeter if you haven't already got one, they are relatively cheap and a essential part of owning a mini ! Let us know if you resolve the problem or more details about it if you haven't.

Allan

#6 Ricester

Ricester

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 11:43 AM   Best Answer

The wire to the speedo only feed indication lamps and gauges, they will never reach 5 amps. If you’re having several issues always start by checking the earth connections which are common to several items.

Viz thanks for this. It’s really obvious once someone points it out. But yes - the issue was a crap earth for the main loom. Once I took ALL of the paint off and had the earth loop directly onto the body rather than a washer, everything worked.

This has been playing on my mind for days now so thanks very much. As I said, extremely obvious once it’s pointed out, but there you go!

#7 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 23 March 2023 - 11:32 PM

Yeh, thanks for letting us know you've corrected the fault.

Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users