12 replies to this topic

#1 rolphy

rolphy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 01:32 PM

has anyone used either of these for any work? have any feedback? or can recommend anyone else for some welding in the northamptonshire area? or close 

#2 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 04:36 PM

I'm looking to have some work done myself so I'll be interested to see what response you get on this, slightly out of your area but I've been recommended to try 'The Real Mini Company' just south of Oxford.

#3 Bungleaio

Bungleaio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Not in one.

Posted 29 March 2023 - 05:58 PM

I highly rate Coventy Classic Minis, they did the work on my car and it's immaculate. They have had countless cars featured within the magazines.

Attached Files

#4 Bungleaio

Bungleaio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Not in one.

Posted 29 March 2023 - 06:05 PM

Just to add Cov classic minis will have a waiting list for big jobs, I had to wait 6 months for a slot but the wait is worth it. They take pride in what they do and have a great reputation so are in demand.

If you have a small job then they will be able to get you in quicker I'm sure.

#5 rolphy

rolphy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:02 AM

Just to add Cov classic minis will have a waiting list for big jobs, I had to wait 6 months for a slot but the wait is worth it. They take pride in what they do and have a great reputation so are in demand.

If you have a small job then they will be able to get you in quicker I'm sure.

its a big job lots of bodywork, coincidentally its an italian job mini in red, good to hear theyve done a good job on yours, probably needs most of the panels yours did looking at it 

#6 rolphy

rolphy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 09:49 AM

so i tried the real mini company, not replied to me in nearly 3 weeks so obviously too busy to need the business, i did get a response from coventry classic minis but he said he would follow up with some better costs then again didnt get back to me, anyone know any companies out there that actually want some work for welding and new panels? i understand companies are busy but to not respond to emails for nearly 3 weeks doesnt fill me with confidence when your talking about spending 5-10 grand restoring a car with them....

#7 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 10:53 AM

Personally, if i've not had a response to an email within two days, i'll ring them.

..after 3 weeks your email is probably about 2 pages down his inbox

#8 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 12:01 PM

I know its a bit of a trip from you but there is Southam Mini Metro Centre who tackle body work

#9 rolphy

rolphy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:06 PM

Personally, if i've not had a response to an email within two days, i'll ring them.

..after 3 weeks your email is probably about 2 pages down his inbox

he asked me to email him pictures, hence why i assumed he would reply after looking at them,

ive heard about southam mini centre before so maybe il give them a go cheers.

#10 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 05:48 PM

I'd give them a call and drop in if you can for a chat. My experience of body shops is that they're generally happy to chat rather than exchange email, at least in the early stages.

#11 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 11:12 AM

Could be wrong but I don't think Southam do bodywork anymore, pretty sure they use The Real Mini Company.

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 April 2023 - 12:59 PM

Unexpected things always crop up when doing restoration work.

Mentally add 50% the the expected starting price, and hope to be slightly pleased with the final bill.

I'm not sure how much a new shell now costs, but 10 years ago, when I suggested to two separate friends that a new shell might be cheaper than restoration, they both later admitted that they wished that they had listened to me,

#13 bogstandard

bogstandard

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 09:30 PM

Unexpected things always crop up when doing restoration work.

Mentally add 50% the the expected starting price, and hope to be slightly pleased with the final bill.

I'm not sure how much a new shell now costs, but 10 years ago, when I suggested to two separate friends that a new shell might be cheaper than restoration, they both later admitted that they wished that they had listened to me,

Apologies for bumping this up but does provide useful feedback.

Totally agree with the above. My car is currently with Paul Preston for 2 years and the bills keep coming in. Double your estimate if you want it done properly and with mine it was rotten but didn't know how bad until Paul got stuck in. Maybe a new shell might have been better but too late now. Paul has a great setup and very professional and I would suggest rather than email arrange a visit to discuss your expectations. I also tried to contact the Real Mini Company when getting estimates but their response was very offish. 

Update: Got to see the results of Paul and his Teams work today and it blew me away. A lot of the hard work was dealing with the rust but seeing it now with the new Paint which was just electric has made it all worthwhile. Back in love with my Mini. 

Edited by bogstandard, 13 December 2023 - 08:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users