Photo
- - - - -

Mini Owners Club With Dvla Officer - Which One To Choose?

Best Answer mab01uk , 02 April 2023 - 07:15 PM

The Mini Cooper Register have a DVLA V765 Contact (Vehicle Registration Recovery).

You need to join the MCR and have a membership number. Any type of year of Mini or Cooper is eligible, the more old documents and photos you have like old tax discs, MOT's and logbooks to prove the registration and car exists the easier to recover the reg number from DVLA.

PM me if you want the direct email for the MCR V765 contact or you can try:  [email protected]

MCR website:

https://www.minicoop...rg/registers-2/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:02 PM

I'm going to need some expert help to get my 1964 Mini re-registered while also keeping the original registration number. (It's no longer on DVLA database because it was taken off the road pre-'84 and - worse - the buff logbook shows a mistaken mash-up of chassis and engine numbers where the chassis number should have been written.)

Is there a national Mini Owners Club in the UK? Can't seem to find one (or rather I can find several online but which - if any - is the de-facto 'official' one?)

DVLA's V765/1 lists only the following:

1959 Mini register (1959 Minis only (!) )

Mini Cooper register (despite the name, welcomes all Minis and MINIs.)

Mini Traveller and Countryman Register (no response when contacted. Yep, mines an estate)

British Mini Club

So I'm assuming it'll be one of these.

Hoping to find the most competent/enthusiastic/pro-active organisation with a DVLA officer who'll try to do more than tell me "you don't have enough proof so give up and accept a new registration number".

Anyone had recent experiences re-registering with these organisations, please? Especially if your vehicle was an awkward one to get done.

Cheers,
Ian.

#2 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:24 PM

If you go to the DVLA List of Vehicle Club Owners there is a British Mini Club contact listed. It may be worth a try contacting them to see if they can assist you progress this situtation.

My own experience with the DVLA  suggests that you are in for a long haul to get the desired outcome.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 April 2023 - 01:25 PM

In Pembroke, you are near enough to ask around the pubs.  There might be a DVLA sports club to go and watch and make a friend.

#4 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:04 PM

"The BMC are approved by the DVLA for vehicle verification.

This is offered to BMC members only.

Contact the club for your verification requirements."

https://britishminic...rship-benefits/

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,829 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 April 2023 - 07:15 PM   Best Answer

The Mini Cooper Register have a DVLA V765 Contact (Vehicle Registration Recovery).

You need to join the MCR and have a membership number. Any type of year of Mini or Cooper is eligible, the more old documents and photos you have like old tax discs, MOT's and logbooks to prove the registration and car exists the easier to recover the reg number from DVLA.

PM me if you want the direct email for the MCR V765 contact or you can try:  [email protected]

MCR website:

https://www.minicoop...rg/registers-2/

#6 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 07:21 PM

Mini Cooper Register. I'm in the middle of the process to resurrect my 1966 SDL registration with them.

#7 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 07:58 PM

I've found this really helpful. Thanks. I'm looking at getting a new (to me) 1968 mini re-registered with it's original number. Not much paperwork though. I do have the original sales invoice, a single MOT ticket, and BMC order form but not sure whether this is much help.

#8 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 09:45 PM

Thanks everyone. Sounds like MCR might be the most helpful in this case. I'll have a chat with them first.

MatthewsDad: if your MOT ticket has the chassis number on it, then you should already meet DVLA's V765 criteria of "other pre-1983 documentary evidence linking the chassis and the registration number".

#9 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone. Sounds like MCR might be the most helpful in this case. I'll have a chat with them first.

MatthewsDad: if your MOT ticket has the chassis number on it, then you should already meet DVLA's V765 criteria of "other pre-1983 documentary evidence linking the chassis and the registration number".

Thanks, I haven't yet looked into it but hopefully the MOT ticket might do the trick.

Edited by MatthewsDad, 03 April 2023 - 05:51 PM.

#10 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 06:40 PM

I've found this really helpful. Thanks. I'm looking at getting a new (to me) 1968 mini re-registered with it's original number. Not much paperwork though. I do have the original sales invoice, a single MOT ticket, and BMC order form but not sure whether this is much help.

I made the mistake of stripping my 66 SDL down to a shell before I asked for assistance from the club. I should have applied, with help, while the car was in 1 piece and on its wheels. Now I have had to totally restore it before an inspection is possible. Probably cost me about 2 years delay. You have to tie up the chassis number to the registration number in documentation. Talk to MCR.

#11 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:18 PM

I just had a chat with Paul (MCR's DVLA Officer). And I was very impressed. I'd say that for re-registering any unregistered Mini, MCR give me the strong feeling that they'll try hard for you. (Other clubs are available who may give you more, or less, mileage.)

As Whistler says: if you're planning a rebuild then do start the re-registering process *before* stripping the car. The car must be complete (though not necessarily MOT-able nor even drive-able) to be put through the re-registration process. And do *not* send your log-book or other documentation to DVLA: keep it in a safe place and don't trust it to the post for any reason whatsoever. All documentation that goes to DVLA will be certified copies. The originals should never leave your possession.

These pieces of advice apply only to cars that are not currently on the DVLA register. Which will mostly be those cars which haven't been MOT'd or taxed or transferred since 1983.

Sadly, my car came to me as a pile of bits so I don't have any choice but to completely rebuild it first. :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users