5 replies to this topic

#1 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:12 PM

Sorry if this isn't classic mini related but it is a BMW mini question, but a general question.

My son has an R56 cooper s rear bumper that needs spraying, its second hand (but the same colour as his car) it has had some repairs done, the parking sensors have been removed and filled.

The 'repairs' are too big just to patch up so I need to sand off the whole thing (not to bare plastic just to give a good key) and re-undercoat and spray.

I have watched quite a few YT vids but just wondered if there are any members who have experience in plastic panel spraying.

And pointers welcome.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:58 PM

Get the correct primer. Otherwise I just treated it the same.

#3 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 02:14 PM

If you are just painting over existing paint then treat as normal but as above if any of it is bare plastic then you need to use a proper plastic primer before normal primer and paint.

Have the repairs been done using the correct plastic filler/repair materials and has any primer been applied over the plastics primer?  If someone has just repaired it then it may not work/last.

#4 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 04:37 PM

So they have filled the holes with plastic circles and used those plastic welding wighly things and filled with regular filler..... That i have now removed and used flexible plastic filler.
There are some bare plastic and filler parts that will need plastic primer.

When you say 'treat as normal' do you just mean sand and colour coat, no primer?

#5 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 07:14 PM

So they have filled the holes with plastic circles and used those plastic welding wighly things and filled with regular filler..... That i have now removed and used flexible plastic filler.
There are some bare plastic and filler parts that will need plastic primer.

When you say 'treat as normal' do you just mean sand and colour coat, no primer?

If your are painting over sound paint then you don't need to use primer, as this isn't the case you will need to use a plastic primer and then normal or epoxy primer and then paint (obviously sanding the primer before painting).

#6 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 04:26 PM

Many thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users