34 replies to this topic

#31 miniGTS

miniGTS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 09:40 AM

It's been a while since I've posted updates. The car is back from the body repair and spraying. The wiring loom is in after a cleanup, repair where needed and wrap with loom tape. The rebuilt front subframe is fitted and I'm busy rebuilding the rear.

I will also be fitting new brake lines and fuel line under the car so probably need to drop the front subframe slightly to remove old lines and fit new ones. I decided to go with bundy tubing instead of the copper nickel purely because the bundy is much cheaper and also it's what was used originally. I am going to be changing the diagonal split brake layout to a front/rear split with a pressure regulator valve to the rear and 5/8 wheel cylinders. I'll be keeping my black tag dual master but having it resleeved with stainless steel.

Other than that, I've just cleaned up and fitted tail lights and front light housings.

It's coming together slowly but we're getting there.

I decided on bilstein gas shocks which is arriving next week and also the MS 2 core aluminium radiator.

I think once the rear subframe is in and the brakes done, the rest will be quicker and easier.

I'll post some pics later

#32 miniGTS

miniGTS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:30 AM

Just a quick update with some pics... It's going back for a buff/polish 

Attached File  front.jpg   65.16K   7 downloads

Attached File  side-with-wheels.jpg   62.19K   6 downloads

#33 miniGTS

miniGTS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 06:33 PM

I've removed the rear subframe cleaned it up and resprayed it. Getting all the parts ready for the subframe rebuild. After checking the radius arm shafts and bushes and bearings I realised it's best to replace it. So getting the repair kit and having it fitted at a local engineer. That'll take weeks before I get the parts so this subframe is going to be out for a while... 

I will in the meantime work on rebuilding the brake master cylinder and replace all the brake lines.

Attached File  rear-subframe-out.jpg   76.81K   3 downloads

Attached File  rear-subframe-cleaning.jpg   105.08K   3 downloads

Attached File  rear-subframe-respray.jpg   58.88K   2 downloads

Attached File  rear-subframe-sun-baking.jpg   70.99K   1 downloads

#34 miniGTS

miniGTS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 June 2024 - 06:18 PM

Quick update, pics to follow when I have a chance to resize and upload them...

I've rebuilt the rear subframe with new rubber bushes/trunnions, MS evo rubber cones and Hilos to match the front and Bilstein gas shocks.

Also rebuilt the rear brakes with new springs and wheel cylinders. The drums were skimmed.

I also rebuilt the dual brake master cylinder and changed the brake setup from diagonal split to a front rear split and a brake pressure regulator valve on the rear subframe. All new brake lines that I made with bundy tubing instead of CuNi.

So rear subframe is back in the car.

While I had the subframe off, I also replaced the fuel line under the car with a copper line.

Fitted the door handles, lights and connected to the wiring loom.

I'm hoping to finish off a few small things on the front subframe and drop the engine in soon.

Before I fit the engine I plan on testing the brakes and wiring first so that it's easier to sort out any issues before the engine is in.

It's getting there.... Taking a bit longer than I expected but some of it is waiting for parts to arrive... But I usually crack on with other things if I can...

#35 miniGTS

miniGTS

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 03:30 PM

tested lights, all except the hazards and indicators are working. I suspect bad connections so need to check that.

Some updated pics:

Rear Subframe fitted:

Attached File  rear-subframe-fitted.jpg   71.28K   0 downloads

Headlights Fitted:

Attached File  headlights-fitted.jpg   77.32K   1 downloads

Engine Bay:

Attached File  engine-bay-brake-lines.jpg   82.88K   1 downloads

Back on All 4 wheels:

Attached File  on-all-4.jpg   80.07K   2 downloads

Next is to fit the new calipers and finish the brake connections in front before testing the brake lines for leaks. If no leaks then I can flush and bleed with brake fluid.

Once that's sorted, I'll drop the engine in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users