#16 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 01 May 2023 - 03:47 PM

Good work with the first and second resto..... well done..

2 additional wheels for your fun these days.

What else are you planning to change on this second resto?

#17 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 03:48 PM

#18 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 03:49 PM

Also loving the tandem push bike in the background...

#19 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 04:16 PM

Thanks, the extra 2 wheels have been parked for too long as well. I plan on getting to that once the mini is sorted.

Changing the colour to bright red, getting the GTS arches fitted (these are the same as the Australian GT), chrome mirrors and I'll be going with the standard GTS decals and the engine will be mostly standard. Then interior I plan on getting some cooper s style bucket seats. Also have a mountney steering wheel.

#20 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:22 PM

It's been a while since I posted about the progress... it's been slow but getting there.

I started with the front subframe rebuild. I sprayed the subframe and upper and lower arms with black hammerite and fitted new MS Evo rubber cones, Hi-Lo trumpets, new knuckle joints, rebuilt the upper arms, replaced the lower arm bushes (which split when I tightened it up - very disappointing), heavy duty adjustable tie bar rods and new bushes.

Some pics of progress:

front-subframe.jpg

front-subframe1.jpg

Before fitting I adjusted the tie rod bars to the same length as the standard ones and ended up with that space before tightening it up. Is that normal?

front-subframe2.jpg

The split/cracked lower arm bushes:

cracked-rubber.jpg

#21 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:29 PM

I'll be fitting the front hubs later this month or early next... The bearings that came out were new when built years ago but it wasn't used much before it stood for many years so the bearings are good but the seals are not. I found a local supplier that can get seals but the inner seal won't have the lip. How necessary is that lip? I'll likely reuse the white nylon water seal.

The hubs will be fitted with the minispares 7.5inch conversion kit (instead of the 8.5inch setup that I already rebuilt) to accommodate the 10inch x 6J cosmics and yoko A008 tyres.

#22 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:44 PM

The bodywork is coming along slowly as well. I visited the workshop a while ago for an update and they recently sent some pics of progress.

Rusted wiper panel removed:

wiper-panel.jpeg

replacement fitted:

wiper-panel-fitted.jpg

Old parcel shelf was removed and a replacement is ready to be fitted:

replacement-parcel-shelf.jpeg

One side A-panel removed:

a-panel.jpeg

Boot floor is looking pretty bad as well:

boot-floor.jpeg

There is still a long way to go...

#23 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 04:27 PM

It's been a while since I updated with the progress. I haven't had much time to work on suspension and other bits so not much progress there but the bodywork is getting on and nearing colour stage.

These are some pics I got from the guy doing the bodywork:

boot-repaired.jpeg

boot-repaired-1.jpeg

left-rear.jpeg

rear-left.jpeg

#24 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 08:00 PM

Some more pics:

rear-right.jpeg

rear-upper-right-inside-weld.jpeg

rear-valance-struggle.jpeg

rear-window.jpeg

roof-front-left.jpeg

roof-weld.jpeg

roof-work.jpeg

roof-work-1.jpeg

roof-work-2.jpeg

#25 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 09:33 AM

It's been a while since I posted about the progress... it's been slow but getting there.

I started with the front subframe rebuild. I sprayed the subframe and upper and lower arms with black hammerite and fitted new MS Evo rubber cones, Hi-Lo trumpets, new knuckle joints, rebuilt the upper arms, replaced the lower arm bushes (which split when I tightened it up - very disappointing), heavy duty adjustable tie bar rods and new bushes.

Some pics of progress:

front-subframe.jpg

front-subframe1.jpg

Before fitting I adjusted the tie rod bars to the same length as the standard ones and ended up with that space before tightening it up. Is that normal?

front-subframe2.jpg

cracked-rubber.jpg

You definitely don't want that gap! Also have you used the recommended combination of standard rubber bushes on the inside and poly on the outside of the bracket?

Edited by johnR, 07 November 2023 - 09:37 AM.

#26 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 09:47 AM

were the lower arm bushes the correct offset type and fitted the right way around, that would affect the angle the bottom arm sits at (i.e. pulling away from the tie rod towards the rear of the car instead of angled slightly towards the front)

It looks like you did get the front bushes right to me.. the black one is the normal rubber (inside) and the poly outer is purple (or at least it is in the kit I bought)

Edited by stuart bowes, 07 November 2023 - 09:48 AM.

#27 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 12:59 PM

Some pics of progress:

front-subframe.jpg

front-subframe1.jpg

front-subframe2.jpg

cracked-rubber.jpg

You definitely don't want that gap! Also have you used the recommended combination of standard rubber bushes on the inside and poly on the outside of the bracket?

Yes, I have the rubber on the inside and poly on the outside. The gap was before tightening anything up. So after tightening the nut a bit it pulled things together and closed the gap. 

#28 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 01:02 PM

were the lower arm bushes the correct offset type and fitted the right way around, that would affect the angle the bottom arm sits at (i.e. pulling away from the tie rod towards the rear of the car instead of angled slightly towards the front)

It looks like you did get the front bushes right to me.. the black one is the normal rubber (inside) and the poly outer is purple (or at least it is in the kit I bought)

As far as I know, the lower arm bushes were the correct ones and fitted correctly but they split after tightening it up. I decided to change them with the poly ones from MS and those fitted and tightened up without any issues so those have also been sorted now.

#29 miniGTS

miniGTS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:57 AM

I got some updates from the bodyshop. They've sorted out the standard arches for the GTS. These are the same as the Australian GT. Then they have also given it a 1st coat of MS primer and will hopefully be doing colour soon.

Some updated pics:

front-right.jpeg

progress-enginebay.jpeg

rear-left.jpeg

#30 Sir_Swish!

Sir_Swish!

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 08:44 AM

Coming together nicely!