11 replies to this topic

#1 TimDaly

TimDaly

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:11 PM

I have rebuilt an original Australian built steering rack for my Moke.  My Moke is an 82, 998 Californian. I've looked through the posts on multiple sites and read original service bulletins about the AUS to UK rack changes in later AUS built Mokes.  My Moke has a VIN prior to these UK racks being introduced in Australia.  Even with these bulletins, I'm unsure of the casting numbers that I should using.  

My Moke came with a UK built rack when we shipped to Canada from Australia 20+ years ago.  I have no idea if this was original to the Moke.  The arms it came with have a BYA897 casting (LH).  I have a pair of AUS built arms here with the LH side casting number of AYG4095.  I also have numerous other arms here that would be UK built from many different years, Cooper and standard.

What arm casting numbers should I be using for an AUS built rack?  It'll have disc brakes now as well if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Tim

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:28 PM

That will be a question for Mr Spider to answer. 

but re the UK arms there were only 2 versions that were geometrically different. The MK1 and everything else. The everything else’s did look different in that you had the fatter S arms and the others. But they were geometrically the same.

#3 TimDaly

TimDaly

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 11:20 PM

Hmmm. On further reading, I think the early Moke rack is likely just the same as a MKI mini rack. This would make the early Moke arms the same dimension as MKI arms. That said, I think I have what I need. Spider can chime in as well if he’s able to confirm this.

Thanks,
Tim

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 April 2023 - 12:00 AM

Hey Tim,

Your Moke was originally fitted with a MKII UK Rack that was modified in the Factory, by adding lock stops to it. It would have also been fitted at that time with MKII type steering Arms.

The Aussie Rack has MKI Geometry and so needs to be used with MKI Steering Arms. The best way to ID them is from this drawing;-

2uVKBfC.jpg

If you do fit the Aussie Rack with the MKII UK Arms, you'll find you have Bump Steer, which many don't actually notice in day to day driving about, however, note that with standard Steering Rod Ends, you'll only have a few threads of engagement. In this case, your safest bet is to fit the longer Heavy Duty type Ends.

I have driven a few Mokes that are fitted up that way and maybe I'm more 'in tune' to how they should feel, but I don't like it.

Also, be sure to fit the Rack Spacer Plates;-

20nNl1Y.jpg

They go between the Rack and the Body.

#5 TimDaly

TimDaly

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 12:42 AM

Rack spacer plates already fitted! Thanks for the reminder though.

Thanks again for the confirmation Spider.
Tim.

#6 Shaun78

Shaun78

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 11:03 AM

Hi,reading this with interest as I'm still rebuilding my 1978 aussie moke,the rack spacer plates you mention did all mokes have them as I didn't have any on mine when I took it apart,but if I need them I can make some before I put it together.thanks.shaun.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 06:00 AM

Hi,reading this with interest as I'm still rebuilding my 1978 aussie moke,the rack spacer plates you mention did all mokes have them as I didn't have any on mine when I took it apart,but if I need them I can make some before I put it together.thanks.shaun.

Hi Shaun,

Yours being a 1978 model would need the spacer plates. When re-fitting a rack back in the car, by dropping the subframe a few inches, those plates are quite a fiddle to get in so many people omitted them.

The issue that then arises is the body of the Rack around the Pinion will foul on the floor and not seat properly. You also won't get a rack to body seal in either.

#8 Shaun78

Shaun78

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 06:22 AM

Hi spider thanks for the reply,I can make some to put in before rebuild as I can't find any for sale,how thick does the steel need to be for the spacer.thanks.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:41 AM

Shaun, is this any help ?

ZikOhal.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to include the plate width - they are 3/4" (or 20 mm will be fine).

#10 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:44 AM

What thickness plate is it Spider?

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 07:21 AM

What thickness plate is it Spider?

Hahahaha,,,,, I must have chopped that off when converting it to a jpg !

1/8" (10 #)  or 3 mm in new money.

#12 Shaun78

Shaun78

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for that spider I can soon make a couple of those,I checked my parts today,and definitely didn't have any when i stripped it.thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users