• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,051 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 24 April 2023 - 06:31 PM

I just realised that it is exactly 60 years ago today that I bought my first Mini.
It was a 1961 Austin Se7en 850 in Tartan Red. It had cross-ply tyres (quickly changed to Michelin X). Reg no was 7489 RO.
It was a great little car.

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 24 April 2023 - 09:19 PM

In 60 years time, the answer to where the years went, will be known in detail.

Every purchase, text, twitter, email, photo, journey ---------------- need I go on.

Eat your heart out, George Orwell.

Your sincerely,

Winston Smith.

#3 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 24 April 2023 - 11:01 PM

It was 55 years ago I had my first mini, also a 850 of 1963 vintage iv'e still got the number original plates that were on the car when I purchased it TBF 850 , wish i had kept the log book, ah ! sweet memories.

Allan

#4 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 11:54 AM

I just realised that it is exactly 60 years ago today that I bought my first Mini.
It was a 1961 Austin Se7en 850 in Tartan Red. It had cross-ply tyres (quickly changed to Michelin X). Reg no was 7489 RO.

I bet you never dreamed youd still be driving Minis 60 years later!  Let alone the enthusiam still going strong for these little cars.  

#5 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 25 April 2023 - 04:55 PM

First Mini and car, May 1982, a HL in cinnabar OOC109X, had it from Colliers in Acocks Green Birmingham. When the old man and me got there they told us we couldn't have as it as it was a Saturday morning and the person with the keys to the compound wasn't available until Monday, suffice to say they ended up cutting the lock off as there was no way i was going back to Kidderminster without it. Great memories, wish I still had it part chopped it 2 years later for a Fiesta   

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,843 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:06 AM

OOC109X

Untaxed

Tax due: 1 November 1994

Edited by mab01uk, 26 April 2023 - 11:06 AM.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 06:07 PM

I bet you never dreamed youd still be driving Minis 60 years later!  Let alone the enthusiam still going strong for these little cars.  

I think I doubted I would still be here 60 years later, let alone still messing around with Minis.

Last week my Grandson and I took all three of our Minis to a local classic car show. I got a young friend of mine, with whom I fly gliders, to drive my 1964 'S', I drove Grandson's 998 Mayfair/Cooper 'Tribute' and he drove my black 1990 Cooper rally car. They did look good lined up with another Mini, a Sidewalk, and caused a lot of interest.

Minis are still as much fun as they were 60 years ago.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,972 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 April 2023 - 06:36 PM

They time goes in the blink of an eye !

That why when I was 47 we were close enough to where we wanted to be financially that I went in to semi-retirement, though, I'm busier and doing just as long a days now as I was then, only most are spent in the shed ! I only do maybe 4 - 5 days a month paid work, and some months, it's hard to even find those !

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 06:45 PM

I wanted to have a go at gliding again, and about 10 years ago, was offered a "Try it and see"  trip at Dunstable.

I thought that it would be like riding a bike, ie: you never forget.

I was lucky and soon found a nice bit of green, but when I set off to look for a some more, I kept finding myself yawing, it was most embarrassing.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:18 PM

I did my first glider solo in 1958, just after I got my power licence on Tiger Moths.
Gliding is, for me, better than power flying.
I suppose cars and aeroplanes have my life.

Edited by Cooperman, 27 April 2023 - 10:20 PM.

#11 DavidN

DavidN

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 05:17 PM

58 years ago for me. '66 van JWY801D. Bit of a washing machine casing welded in the floor, bit of plastic padding here and there and a brand new off side wing, the original torn off trying to undertake a MK 1 Cortina turning left at the lights. Bought for £200 from Union Garage Wakefield and traded in for £50:00 against a 4 year old ex Wigfalls (Mk2) van for £360:00. (Prestige Motors Barnsley...) A major upgrade for me! 

#12 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 06:06 PM

58 years ago for me. '66 van JWY801D. Bit of a washing machine casing welded in the floor, bit of plastic padding here and there and a brand new off side wing, the original torn off trying to undertake a MK 1 Cortina turning left at the lights. Bought for £200 from Union Garage Wakefield and traded in for £50:00 against a 4 year old ex Wigfalls (Mk2) van for £360:00. (Prestige Motors Barnsley...) A major upgrade for me!

Wigfalls!! God thats a blast from the past.

#13 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 29 April 2023 - 10:36 AM

Last time I saw it, it was being driven around Stourport on Severn by a little old lady. I have always assumed that the 'Date of Liability' was the date it was officially scraped?    

OOC109X

✗ Untaxed

Tax due: 1 November 1994

#14 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 08:24 PM

The last 20 years of my life only took a week.  Please tell me at 42 the time starts to slow.

#15 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 09:30 PM

The last 20 years of my life only took a week.  Please tell me at 42 the time starts to slow.

I'm sorry lad, but you've just got to bite the bullet.  You may be 42 today, but you're 49 tomorrow

Edited by DeadSquare, 30 April 2023 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users