Photo
- - - - -

Brake Union Banjo, Not Enough Holes?

brakes

Best Answer Speakjava , 29 April 2023 - 03:54 PM

OK, I guess I should have researched how a banjo bolt works before posting this. I now get that the hole in the bolt is only to allow the brake fluid to flow down to the end of the bolt. The hole does not even need to line up for the bolt to work.

Apologies for a rather stupid question (I couldn't see a way to delete my post).

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Speakjava

Speakjava

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 03:48 PM

In our build, we have just finished rebuilding the front end (drive shafts boots, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc.) Today we fitted the new calipers and pads, which required removal of the brake union on the o/s to allow the hose to be screwed into the caliper.

All good so far but when I looked at the banjo bolt on the union, I can't see how it can possibly work.

The union is obviously designed for brake fluid to enter from the brake limiter valve and be directed to both calipers via the bottom of the banjo bolt and the other side of the union.

What I can't understand is that the banjo bolt I have (which came with the car) only has one hole near the head (see photos). With the hole aligned with one side of the union, how does brake fluid get out the other side? Surely there should be a second hole.

My question then, before I put this all together and start bleeding the brakes is, do I have the right banjo bolt or should I get a different one?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

#2 Speakjava

Speakjava

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 03:54 PM   Best Answer

OK, I guess I should have researched how a banjo bolt works before posting this. I now get that the hole in the bolt is only to allow the brake fluid to flow down to the end of the bolt. The hole does not even need to line up for the bolt to work.

Apologies for a rather stupid question (I couldn't see a way to delete my post).

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 29 April 2023 - 04:05 PM

That's OK.

Because we love our little cars, we come here to help people with their Minis.

Sometimes our answers may be intended to make people think, but we try to never unkindly laugh at them.

#4 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:15 AM

Off-topic but I changed the caliper on a Mazda 6 the other day. I was expecting the usual pain of somehow having to turn the whole caliper round and round to screw it onto the brake hose. Those Japanese geniuses used a banjo bolt at the caliper so you can just tighten it up without twisting the hose. Why did British Leyland never think of that?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:17 AM

Off-topic but I changed the caliper on a Mazda 6 the other day. I was expecting the usual pain of somehow having to turn the whole caliper round and round to screw it onto the brake hose. Those Japanese geniuses used a banjo bolt at the caliper so you can just tighten it up without twisting the hose. Why did British Leyland never think of that?

Because it did not fir the ethos of low cost.

you can still fit and use brake hoses with Banjo caliper fitting on the Mini.

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 05 May 2023 - 11:38 AM

Odd that MG did .. Midgets have the banjo fitting on the calipers and they are very similar to some Mini calipers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users