2 replies to this topic

#1 Zami

Zami

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 06:07 PM

Have a leak in my left hand mk1 tank coming from the drain plug. Have used a variety of chemicals to loosen the plug with out much luck. The plug itself is steel but it screws into a brass housing. My question. Is the brass housing pressed into the fuel tank? My next thought is to drill the plug and use an “easy out” to remove it. Any other thoughts?

Attached Files

Edited by Zami, 30 April 2023 - 09:08 PM.

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 30 April 2023 - 06:49 PM

Good luck removing the plug.  If you are unfortunate, you may tare the "brass housing" out of the tank.

If this happens, all is not lost.  A "brass reducer", a collar of brass that gets from 3/8" to 1/2" pipe sizes, available at plumbers merchants or Calor Gas agent, can be soldered into the tank.  When you get one, you will understand what I mean when I say, try to fit it from the inside.

People are very worried about working on fuel tanks in case they explode, but if you fill the tank with water, and then drain a little out to within an inch of where you are soldering, there is too little room for fumes to be dangerous, and I'd find someone who can use silver solder rather than soft solder. 

The tank will dry out in hot sun, especially with a hair dryer and an extension blowing warm air into the bottom.

I hope you don't need the above.

#3 Zami

Zami

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 09:07 PM

Thanks DeadSquare I’ll keep that in mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users