frosty90

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Bitz

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:01 PM

Hi All, 

hoping someone can give me some pointers or even better if anyone is local to Northampton that would be willing to come take a look. I took the car off the road start of covid as it just wasnt being used. Ever since ive had starting issues. the car seems to start when it feels like it! on a couple of occasions when friends have tried to help me get running we have succeeded but never actually discovered the cause of it not starting then the next day it wont start again. 

Kent 286 cam

HIF44

Ive got spark at all 4 plugs, its getting fuel to the cylinders, brand new 075 battery

Ive checked 12v at the coil & starter

im about at the end of my tether with it so i welcome any idea or suggestions

#2 Speedymad

Speedymad

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 12:14 PM

Have you swapped out the old fuel?

had similar issues recently and I ended up draining fuel tank, topped up some fresh super, took off the filters and then used an old hand water sprayer with fuel in to spray into the carb mouth.  This helped get it started and and running and getting new fuel into the carbs. 

Not sure how safe spraying petrol is but a friend did for me a years back so just used the same technique.

#3 frosty90

frosty90

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Bitz

Posted 03 May 2023 - 12:56 PM

Ive not drained the fuel but i have had it running since adding fresh fuel but only on 3 cylinders i could take the HT lead off cylinder 3 and it made no difference, but now it wont run at all again :( 

I have been tempted to spray some easy start in the carb to see if it helps get it going

Have you swapped out the old fuel?

had similar issues recently and I ended up draining fuel tank, topped up some fresh super, took off the filters and then used an old hand water sprayer with fuel in to spray into the carb mouth.  This helped get it started and and running and getting new fuel into the carbs. 

Not sure how safe spraying petrol is but a friend did for me a years back so just used the same technique.

#4 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:10 AM

get some ht lead testers and put in line with plug to check spark, then unscrew dashpot damper is damper rising when engine cranked or sticking, check for airleaks around inlet especially servo and breather pipes on manifold

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 06 May 2023 - 05:28 PM

Clean the rotor arm contact and have a look in the dizzy cab make sure all is good in there..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users