Photo
- - - - -

Acrylic Wind Defectors - Causing Window To Not Go All The Way Up

Best Answer WanaGo , 08 May 2023 - 07:58 PM

OK thanks guys, I have taken it out and put it inside the channel with the glass inside the flocked rubber now.

Certainly easier to install this way.

However the window still will not go all the way up. It does go up a little further, but still a gap of a few mm at the top.

Certainly hope it doesnt whistle while driving along.

Got my son to try and palm the glass as I was putting it up, to try and get it to go all the way up, but nope, wont go up much higher. Certainly higher than it was before though.

Maybe they get better in time?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 06:21 AM

Hello,

On my 79 1275GT Clubman, I just got some of those ClimAir wind deflectors from Minispares for the front windows.

They install under the window rubbers.

However with the drivers side installed, the window gets to about 1cm from the top and will not go up any higher, as the space the wind defector takes up beside the window rubber, causes a pinch point which is just too tight to push the glass through.

You can see the step the deflector makes in the rubber, and its right at that point the window binds.

Is this common?

To make it worse, I just installed the Minispares Electric Window kit, so I cant crank the handle to force it up, as the motor just stalls and wont go up any further.

Before installing them, the motors will raise and lower the window rather nicely with no pinch points.

I have just installed some new Phoenix window rubbers too. I had Minispares rubbers up till now, but they bind while the Phoenix ones do not, they have a slightly different profile where the glass slides on the felt.

Anyway, these were not that cheap just to take off and not use, so am curious if this is common, or if I need to do something different?

Tempted to somehow stick them on the outside of the door rather than sandwhiched in the channel, as then they wont cause an issue with the glass, but they are not designed for there specifically...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:35 AM

Try putting them ‘in’ the rubber, not under it.

#3 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 09:16 AM

Try putting them ‘in’ the rubber, not under it.

Hmm, but then the rubber wouldn't hold it in position, the adhesive would have nothing to stick to (normally to inside of door channels frame) and the glass would ride on the acrylic.

Not sure that's the right answer...

#4 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 09:53 AM

On modern cars they fit in the same channel the glass runs in. The adhesive tape sticks to the rubber channel. There's often a couple of metal clips that fit in there aswell.
Yes, the glass runs on the acrylic- on modern cars.

Edited by imack, 08 May 2023 - 09:54 AM.

#5 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:08 AM

The wind deflector, on mine, sits in the same channel as the window runs in, as per the instructions which came with them.

Attached Files

#6 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:18 PM

The wind deflector, on mine, sits in the same channel as the window runs in, as per the instructions which came with them.

Looking at the picture you sent (different instructions to mine), I see the left had one being the deflector in the channel, the next one to the right is the deflector in the channel and the rubber windo seal getting put back in next to it, then the 3rd one is the same again but the glass at the bottom, and the 4th one is the thing fully assembled with the glass up inside the window rubber.

So yeah, they are in the same channel as there is only 1 channel on the mini, but the deflector is outside of the rubber, if I am looking at your pictures correctly.

On modern cars they fit in the same channel the glass runs in. The adhesive tape sticks to the rubber channel. There's often a couple of metal clips that fit in there aswell.
Yes, the glass runs on the acrylic- on modern cars.

The mini rubbers are flocked with felt, so unsure how it is supposed to stick to that. Plus any time you wind the windows down, surely it will pull the deflector out of the door channel as the window goes down? No metal clips on this unit.

Attached are the instructions that came with mine - almost no text, just generic images.

It would be great if I have done it wrong, and the correct way works, but I am not sure it can possibly go in the same groove inside the door rubbers, as the glass...

Attached Files

#7 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:25 PM

Had a look at HEKO.PL and found this on the mini page

So yeah, quite different with clips, compared to the Minispares ClimAir ones.

#8 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:29 PM

Here is the one off the Climair page

https://shop.climair...-beifahrerseite

Edited by WanaGo, 08 May 2023 - 12:42 PM.

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:30 PM

Trust me - I run them on my rally car and they are installed in the rubber.
They don’t fall out and the glass running on the plastic is not a problem.

The self adhesive part can’t stick to the channel as you have installed them anyway, as the channel has a lip and they can’t actually sit against/touch the inner surface. The rubber normally sits back behind the lip, so by installing them behind the rubber you are actually displacing the rubber by more the thickness of the deflector. Hence why they’re so tight.

#10 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:57 PM

As per the answers above, the deflector sits in the channel the window glass sits in, not between the metal frame and the rubber.  When installed the fit is snug and they won't drop out, the adhesive isn't doing a huge amount.  Fitted like this to both my cars. The acrylic guides the window into the rubber channel, although neither of mine goes right up into the channel with the deflectors fitted, just enough to keep everything wind tight.

#11 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:58 PM   Best Answer

OK thanks guys, I have taken it out and put it inside the channel with the glass inside the flocked rubber now.

Certainly easier to install this way.

However the window still will not go all the way up. It does go up a little further, but still a gap of a few mm at the top.

Certainly hope it doesnt whistle while driving along.

Got my son to try and palm the glass as I was putting it up, to try and get it to go all the way up, but nope, wont go up much higher. Certainly higher than it was before though.

Maybe they get better in time?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users