#1 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 06:20 AM

Hello

Are they produce original Lucas style (with Lucas logo) headlights with glass lens and metal reflector these days ?

There are many options for sale on the web but I don't know which one to choose. I need LHD model.

Thanks

Edited by gaspen, 12 May 2023 - 06:29 AM.

#2 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 May 2023 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

As far as I am aware they no longer make the Lucas sealed beam units, with pilot for side light, or the Wagner sealed beam units which replaced the Lucas ones. I believe Wagner in the USA took over the headlight side of Lucas.

I needed to replace one of our Lucas sealed units (1988 reg car) and managed to buy a pair of second hand ones on this forum. All the new ones that were available were of a higher wattage so I was not prepared to risk using them and blowing my electrics. Plus the fact I am trying to keep our Designer mini as original as possible. 

There are Topics on this forum regarding changing to Halogen Lights so well worth reading. Typing Halogen Lights in the search box should bring them up.

Paddy

Edited by Designer, 12 May 2023 - 01:33 PM.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 04:37 PM

Unless you are obsessed with originality I would go for a halogen conversion. I have done this on my Minis and it makes for a much safer night driving experience.

I used a set of Wipac Quadoptic and find them both good and pretty stock looking.

#4 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 05:48 PM

Yes I am looking for halogen lamps, not sealed. I just like to to get a "quality" part if possible.

For example http://www.minispare...c/27H5981A.aspx

#5 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 12 May 2023 - 07:41 PM

You will need Lucas European 700 headlamps - generally pretty easy to find on eBay.

#6 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 02:35 PM

Unless you are obsessed with originality I would go for a halogen conversion. I have done this on my Minis and it makes for a much safer night driving experience.

I used a set of Wipac Quadoptic and find them both good and pretty stock looking.

Are those plastic or glass ?

#7 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 01:46 PM

Mine are glass, bought a few years ago, but am sure they will still be glass.

#8 71Pickup

71Pickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 01:59 PM

You might want to check flat vs curved lenses I prefer the curved lense looks more original

#9 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 03:53 PM

Mine are glass, bought a few years ago, but am sure they will still be glass.

Thanks ! My friend ordered a "Lucas" headlight a while ago, and it looks so dim :(

I think I go for a set of Wipac.

#10 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:29 AM

any new "Lucas" ones are probably close to the worst light available. Koito are meant to now be the best (Cibie went bad) but are nowhere near as rounded as sealed beams. Excluding looks that is a good thing, H4 lamps require almost flat glass for good/proper optics.

#11 vyruskiller

vyruskiller

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 08:55 PM

I have a 79 1275GT, wpuld I be able to fit the Wipac’s without messing with electrics or would I need to mess around a bit?
Have to ask as bloody useless with wiring

#12 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: British Car Club of Charleston

Posted 10 June 2023 - 12:36 PM

I have a 79 1275GT, wpuld I be able to fit the Wipac’s without messing with electrics or would I need to mess around a bit?

If you can jam a plug into a socket, you can handle it. I've had the WIPAC Quadopics (with sidelights) LHD version on my car for 16 years. Love them! Easy to upgrade to the latest H4 bulbs, and bright enough that I've never had any desire or need for any auxiliary lights.

Edited by Red Riley, 10 June 2023 - 12:39 PM.

#13 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: British Car Club of Charleston

Posted 10 June 2023 - 12:41 PM

Yes I am looking for halogen lamps, not sealed. I just like to to get a "quality" part if possible.

You can have quality, or you can have Lucas. You'll need to pick one.

#14 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 09:48 PM

You can have quality, or you can have Lucas. You'll need to pick one.

They weren't known as ' The Prince of Darkness' for nothing even back in the day.

Shooter

#15 JDMRoverMini

JDMRoverMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 11:37 PM

If you can jam a plug into a socket, you can handle it. I've had the WIPAC Quadopics (with sidelights) LHD version on my car for 16 years. Love them! Easy to upgrade to the latest H4 bulbs, and bright enough that I've never had any desire or need for any auxiliary lights.

Can you send a link for the Wipac lights?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users