8 replies to this topic

#1 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 10:53 AM

Apologies if this has been asked before but what type of jack do you carry in the car when travelling, I'm thinking in the main here for when needing to change a wheel for example.

Seem to have lost the jack supplied with the car so need to replace, not sure whether to buy a 2nd hand jack of the type that would have been supplied or buy something else bottle jack / scissor jack or a small trolley jack.

Also do you carry axle stands with you?

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 11:01 AM

you can get collapsible axle stands https://www.uktoolbo...CoaAu6PEALw_wcB but I can't see it really being necessary (or advisable) at the side of the road 

if the car is of a certain age there's a pretty good chance your original jacking points in the sills are pretty rusty even if all looks ok from the outside

personally when mines done I will just get a generic scissor jack with a flat top and ideally a fixed on jack pad like this maybe https://www.zoro.co....QgaAsHKEALw_wcB  (note I haven't checked max lift height on that make sure it goes high enough)

back end, jack using subframe rails / front end either using the bottom seam on the front edge of the bulkhead / flitch panel, or find a stable point on the front subframe but that's a bit awkward because of all the weird angular shapes

the main thing is as you're probably already aware don't use the floor pan or confuse the slinging brackets for jacking points which they defintely aren't

that's just my take on it anyway others may have better ideas

Edited by stuart bowes, 25 May 2023 - 11:28 AM.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,919 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:32 PM

Now personally I use the one supplied with the car and that is due to the fact I know what state my car is in as in rust free in that jacking point area plus reinforced with extra weld.

Is it the best, no but I don’t want to being carrying around a trolley jack etc. Being sensible when changing a wheel is the primary thing, for example place the spare wheel under the car as a makeshift axle stand until you have the flat off, reverse the process when fitting the spare.

All of this is JUST FOR CHANGING A WHEEL AT THE SIDE OF THE RD, not general maintenance when I will use a trolley jack and axle stand.

Having had to use the OE jack supplied in my A6 last when I was unfortunate to have a puncture on the M40 last month I can honestly say a mini OE jack is no worse or better than the Audi one.

#4 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 03:15 PM

I removed the jacking points and welded holes up when I fitted new sills, I carry a scissor jack for emergencies.

#5 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 03:21 PM

same ^ I didn't even bother putting new jacking points back on just plated in the holes and flushed off

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,061 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 May 2023 - 05:38 PM

What ever Jack you do go for, make sure it goes low enough to fit under a jacking point when the tyre is flat. For a Mini, this really narrows choices.

I found for a lot of roadside stuff a scissor jack works well and is compact to store.

#7 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 26 May 2023 - 05:06 AM

People complain about the factory jack, I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. No it isn't a hydraulic trolley jack but it works perfectly fine. Anyone who thinks they are bad haven't used an original beetle jack, lowering them is scary.

#8 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for all the comments, went for a scissor jack in the end.

#9 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 06:52 AM

One of the best things about the OE jack is the way it slots into the sill. There's no mistake that it's located correctly.

Compare that to jacks on my daily drivers for the last few decades.A slot in the jack head locates into downward pointing flange. Lining the jack up with this flange is tricky then when the car is raised you're not certain it's central and safe until you give the side of the car a shove to see if it's solid enough.

Provided the jacking points on a mini are sound the OE jack is fit for purpose.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 29 May 2023 - 06:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users