12 replies to this topic

#1 mattyb

mattyb

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 12:29 PM

1984 Mini  - this was a stalled resto I bought and nearly (ish) finished ! PO has fitted a flat vinyl dash with 3 gauge clocks - the bezel cowls when fitted over the gauges mean you can't see the top part of the dials ?! is this "normal" ?? what's the visibility like on 3 gauge instruments in the POD ? !

Any thoughts ?!  few pics attached 

FYI PO and stalled resto - few "interesting" features (brake callipers fitted up side down so not able to bleed - 2 brake compensators fitted (one the front and another at the rear !) 

Attached Files

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 02:03 PM

I stripped mine immediately but I'm fairly sure the cluster was angled upwards a certain degree which would eliminate that issue

you'd have to peel back the vinyl at least around that area, cut a rectangle around the dials, and glue in an angled surround to correct it I guess

I bought a mini about 15 years ago which I planned to finish, but that got sold off again various reasons.. that was similar in its eyebrow raising, he'd painted the discs for one thing..  and was fitting these massive heavy electric seats from a ford granada.. paint scheme was kind of trying to be a bini.  so many lols

Edited by stuart bowes, 27 May 2023 - 02:09 PM.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 May 2023 - 02:15 PM

If you look at similar style 'flat' dashboards on the market, notice they do away with the 3-off hooded plastic bezel cowls and replace them with a raised flat panel to prevent the cowls causing a visiblity problem.

Burr Walnut 3 Clock - RHD Dash:-

https://www.minispor...k-rhd-dash.html

Z9JxxiJ.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 27 May 2023 - 02:16 PM.

#4 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 27 May 2023 - 03:26 PM

Afternmarket dash manufactured for ease of manufacture over actual function, it’s ahh mpi dashes pointed up to be more in the line of sight.

Edited by Midas Mk1, 27 May 2023 - 03:26 PM.

#5 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 27 May 2023 - 04:46 PM

1984 Mini  - this was a stalled resto I bought and nearly (ish) finished ! PO has fitted a flat vinyl dash with 3 gauge clocks - the bezel cowls when fitted over the gauges mean you can't see the top part of the dials ?! is this "normal" ?? what's the visibility like on 3 gauge instruments in the POD ? !

Any thoughts ?!  few pics attached 

FYI PO and stalled resto - few "interesting" features (brake callipers fitted up side down so not able to bleed - 2 brake compensators fitted (one the front and another at the rear !) 

that looks like the previous owner made that dash themselves and didn't know how to get round the surrounds so left them fitted instead of removing them. looks like you need to remove the dash and take off the surround and refit. you may need to find a solution to make sure that the dials are tight against the dash so that they don't move

#6 mattyb

mattyb

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 09:46 AM

Many thanks for the replies - does look as though I'll have to remove and modify the dash - the dash has an additional set of instruments fitted which have the same style cowls as the speedo rev counter etc, so I think I'll preserver with the dash, though I have to agree the flat aftermarket dash would get round the visibility problem - its needs recovering anyway as the PO cut the holes in the vinyl badly !

Attached Files

#7 mattyb

mattyb

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 09:57 AM

Hi Stuart Bowes - think I bought my MIni in 2008 ? been pottering with it ever since - need to get it finished as I'm losing storage on another car. so Mini needs to go - 

its really starting to take shape now though, has a superb body, excellent sub frames, mint MPI Cooper interior, stage 1 etc, etc 

Yep electrics on this one have been challenging ! looks like it had a brand new loom (it had a massive amount of brand new parts on it, which is why I've persevered ) No Granada seats though ! your PO could have tried a pair of Parker Knoll recliners  ! 

Despite the brand new loom PO did this - had a job tracing the problems on rear lights - shouldn't criticise the PO too much - we all have to learn  

Attached Files

#8 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 12:10 PM

that's true I've done plenty of stupid stuff myself ! haha

what made me laugh though (not to his face obviously) he was a nice guy and all but lets just say rather on the heavyset side which is fine but then adding these huge seats in as well, I kinda wanted to ask him to demonstrate actually getting in the thing! and would it even move under the power of a little 998 

still as you say we're all learning 

Edited by stuart bowes, 30 May 2023 - 12:10 PM.

#9 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 May 2023 - 12:42 PM

what made me laugh though (not to his face obviously) he was a nice guy and all but lets just say rather on the heavyset side

Maybe he's got used to not being able to see things.

#10 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 03:26 PM

On the clocks front I have just removed my aftermarket dash and gone back to the standard 3 clock binnacle. one of many reasons for this was that at 6ft tall I couldn’t see any speeds above 40mph. With the original binnacle I can now see the entire face, a massive change for the better. Downside is that the dash/shelf trims needed to tidy it all up without the dash in are a pricey for what they are.

#11 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:33 AM

On the clocks front I have just removed my aftermarket dash and gone back to the standard 3 clock binnacle. one of many reasons for this was that at 6ft tall I couldn’t see any speeds above 40mph. With the original binnacle I can now see the entire face, a massive change for the better. Downside is that the dash/shelf trims needed to tidy it all up without the dash in are a pricey for what they are.

A cheaper alternative to the OEM kit for you: LINK

Kind regards,
Andy @ Optimise Automotive

#12 mattyb

mattyb

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:45 AM

Many thanks again for all the replies - the Optimise Automotive kit would have been PLAN B but I've recovered the dash and I'm happy with the results - I may fit the shallow non - peaked type bezels round the holes I mow have a question about my alloy rocker cover ! will post a new question

Attached Files

#13 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 09:02 AM

That looks tidy, personally I would go with the flat bezels which to me frame the instrument.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users