Photo

Rear Suspension Woes

Best Answer Spider , 05 November 2023 - 09:26 AM

Brad, I've been giving your set up some thought.

With it sitting low, you'll have such little travel left before the shocks bottom out. With your old cones, they would have been so hard after 30+ years, they would have had all the 'give' of a besser block. Now you have cones that allow the suspension to move, it's working but in doing so, it only would have 1 or so inches before it runs out of travel and yes, when it dos, it will do so hard.

If you want to keep it low, there's no solution here, other than to live with it. You could fit harder cones, but that's not the solution. It will ride awful and handle poorly.

As I think you found with your experiment by raising the back, you now have more movement before the back bottoms out and the issue (if I understand things) has been over come. That's proof if you like of what I have mention above.

I'm not sure a Standard Trumpet is warranted in your case, it wouldn't hurt at all, but it will be sitting up a fair way. We run them - or rather the other guys run them - as there's no commercially available Rear Hilo that will stand up to what we do. I have made my own Adjustable rear Trumpets, but that's a story for another day.

One other thing that springs to mind here that would fall in line with when your Moke was built. I have come across this 3 times now in the very late Mokes. The Rear Subframes in these were made wrong. I really don't know how they could be stuffed up, but they were. The Side Rails in them were exactly 1/4" too long. Doesn't sound like much, but the ramification are huge. I have never spent the time on any of them to see exactly where / how this issue was created, but it's extra length is between the trailing arm pivot and the runner cone base. It's not that the hole along is in the wrong place, but that whole rail is longer. This flows on to have 2 issues;-

Toe Out that is way beyond anything that can be corrected, and

A very soft rear spring rate / sitting low at the back

Looking at these subframes,(when removed), The outer ends of the front rail were bent back. I did go to some trouble to straighten one of these and it wouldn't fit back in - the rear mounts missed out lining up with the bolt holes by 1/4".

I'm also just wondering of this may also be an issue with yours ?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 10:10 AM

Hi guys,

I'm still having problems with my rear suspension after replacing everything. I have new rubber cones, Matt Read Hi/Lo's, and have fiddled with short and long shockies.  

When I had normal length mini shockies I had a clang tinnie noise when I think they were extended or compressed past their limit.  

Now I have fitted van/estate length shockies I feel a different kind of solid clunk.  

The problem is my driveway is 45 degrees which requires a run up in second gear at about 40 km/hr in the wet to get to the top.  This creates a hell of a lot of force on my suspension.   In the dry I just put it in first and power up with plenty of traction no problems.  

The problem is it is making a hell of clunk which to me sounds like it is going to break or bend something.  

I did break a trailing arm pin hitting my driveway this way with the original flat donuts and trumpets. 

My trailing pins are still intact and my Hilo's aren't bent for now.  

I'm having regrets now for throwing my old trumpets in the bin?  

I have wound out the HILO's so that I have  a lot more clearance/height than I would like and still have this problem.  I think I needed to do this because the HiLo rods were lose even against brand new cones?  I have plenty more adjustment, should I be winding these rods out more so that they are compressing against the cones ?

Thanks

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 10:44 AM

so the new kind of solid clunk is likely to be the shocks bottoming out, in which case you need to extend the hi-lo's.  or move house  O_O

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 June 2023 - 04:21 PM

First,  mark the place on the lower / inner part of the damper, where the upper / outer shield of the damper comes to when it is fully compressed.

Then make a TELL - TALE   " figure 6 type" rear exhaust pipe clamp out of cardboard and lightly clamp it (wire / rubber band / jubilee clip) to the lower / inner part of the damper so that the upper / outer shield will catch it and push it down as you run your vehicle up your drive.

If the top of the TELL _ TALE lines up with your mark, your damper is bottoming out.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,938 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:02 PM

Hey Brad,

I trust you are keeping well mate.

It does sound like something's bottoming out here, though, it might well be something else too. I'd suggest first looking to see if it's bottoming out and just which part is doing that.

You could test for the rear shocker as Deadsquare suggests.

In regards to winding out your Hilo, I'd suggest be careful here how far you go with that, I wouldn't suggest letting them get any longer than the stock parts as that only lets the cone get closer to the silly bump stop that breaks the trailing arm pin. If you've been winding this out already, it may well be the cone that's bottoming out. If you find you do need to wind them out longer, then I'd suggest either modifying the subframe or fitting jack up rings (or both).

If you find here it is the rear shock (alone) that's bottoming out, then I'd suggest that you have the suspension set too low.

#5 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:06 AM

Thanks fella's,

https://1drv.ms/i/s!...g7lEsB?e=OlBKmw

This is a pic of the clearance I have now between the fender and the tyre which shows I'm not running too low any more.  

I don't think this would be a shock length issue since I originally had standard mini shocks which made a clunking noise so went to great pains to find Moke shock lengths and I still have sudden shock bottoming out but not from the shocks I think, it doesn't have that tinny noise.  

I don't mind cutting out the bump stop but it seems strange I would only need this now since fitting new suspension components when in the past with my 40 year old flat donuts and trumpets  I never had a bottoming out issue?  

Maybe their was no flex in the old donuts?

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:11 PM

Yes, that did occur to me Brad.

Is the noise coming from both sides ?

I'll also add that the new cones will be much softer than those you took out, so while the rear suspension is sitting higher, it will also move (and compress) more than it did.

Just check here too that it's not the shocker stud on the arm that's not hitting the subframe.

#7 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 09:58 AM

Hi Chris,

Yeah the noise sounds like it is coming from both sides at once.  

I did check the lower shock bolts and they do stick out past the subframe and would collide if the travel extended that far but I don't think it does because their is no damage to the threads or the subframe outer lip?

I might try winding my suspension down a little because it does have that jacked up look in the rear which was all the rage in the 80's but sadly I don't have my flares anymore to carry that look ;-)  

If I wind down my rear HiLo's will this put less pressure on the rubber cones bottoming out on the bump stops just as a trial?  I was a little worried the HiLo rods would fall out if I didn't wind them out to jack the vehicle up, but of course that was all viewed from when the Moke was jacked up and the wheels were off the ground which hopefully doesn't happen to often while driving??

#8 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 June 2023 - 12:10 PM

Just a thought, but it might be gentler, and more efficient, to reverse up the driveway/ramp, particularly in the wet.

#9 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 09:57 AM

Just a thought, but it might be gentler, and more efficient, to reverse up the driveway/ramp, particularly in the wet.

Thanks mate but I want  my Moke to be bullet proof and be able to handle anything.  I was able to drive up my driveway before with sagged out 40 year old suspension so obviously their is a problem with the new suspension parts. 
I'm thinking the HiLo's are the problem?   

#10 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 10:05 AM

I'm looking at these trumpets, the same ones I think I threw in the bin.   

Would anyone know if these are an exact replacement for a 1981 13" wheel Moke?  

https://www.minispar...c/21A1684S.aspx

Thanks  Brad

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:46 AM

I'm looking at these trumpets, the same ones I think I threw in the bin.   

Would anyone know if these are an exact replacement for a 1981 13" wheel Moke?  

https://www.minispar...c/21A1684S.aspx

Thanks  Brad

That's them ;)

#12 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 08 June 2023 - 01:21 AM

Gday Brad
I wonder if having wound the hilos up you are too tall even for the new shocks. The hilos are just adjustable trumpets, thay may have a different rate due to platform shape but if you set their height to that of a standard trumpet then all should be equal, surely?

#13 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 10:51 AM

Gday Brad
I wonder if having wound the hilos up you are too tall even for the new shocks. The hilos are just adjustable trumpets, thay may have a different rate due to platform shape but if you set their height to that of a standard trumpet then all should be equal, surely?

I'm hoping that is the problem Dave,  I will let you know when I get a chance to wind them down a bit.   

I would really like to know the dimensions other Mokers using HiLo's have from the same point I am using as a measuring stick?  It is the truest measurement from the top of the tyre to the closest point of the down folded lip of the guard.  Mine was about 113 mm's.

Thanks Brad

#14 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 09 June 2023 - 12:35 AM

I would really like to know the dimensions other Mokers using HiLo's have from the same point I am using as a measuring stick?  It is the truest measurement from the top of the tyre to the closest point of the down folded lip of the guard.  Mine was about 113 mm's.

At least on minis the suspension height is usually measured from the centre of the wheel.

#15 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 09 June 2023 - 02:18 AM

Trumpet lengths are 305mm and 315mm the longer were on the commercials, not sure about Mokes. Spider may know.
Also see pm on ausmoke forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users