STC19

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:35 PM

Hello!

hope everyone is alright  :proud: 

I have an issue where I need to change the Coolant Temp Sender on my '95 Cooper SPI.

The challenge (as i am sure many will know) is that it is on the underside the inlet manifold, meaning that the whole manifold needs to be removed in order to maintain the sender. Being that this is my daily driver and I dont always have access to a garage, i am wondering if the below solution might be a suitable workaround?

Does  anyone have experience, or know about, mounting a new temperature sender inline with the water hose using something similar this: https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B07K899Q43 (more research needed)?

I would leave the broken sensor in place and if possible just reuse/extend the current connector, or wire up a new one. Then run an earth wire from the inline joint to ground.

Is this too far away from the Inlet manifold to display the correct reading? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Sam

#2 J808

J808

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:41 PM

the sensor can be replaced without needing to remove the manifold, i did mine that way, you can get access from under the car and remove the sensor using a crows foot to undo it and also the screw the replacement in. You will want to drain the coolant to at least below the manifold level or you will get covered when changing it.

#3 STC19

STC19

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:05 PM

Hi J808,

Thanks for the reply,

I assume that you used jack stands or ramps to get underneath?

S

#4 J808

J808

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 June 2023 - 03:59 PM

A ramp makes it a lot easier as then you are not laying on your back, I am lucky the local garage let me put it up on their ramp one Saturday afternoon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users