Photo

Clutch Not Working Anymore (Maybe Hydraulic/master Cylinder)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OlivierW2

OlivierW2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 09:57 AM

Hello all!

My 1999 Mini MPI was working well as usual and I parked in in my garage without any problem.

4 or 5 days after my last ride, I wanted to go for another ride and I couldn't change gears at all.

With the engine shutdown, I can change every gear without the clutch (it's the nortmal behavior).

But with the engine running, I can't change any gear: the clutch pedal feels completely soft, seems like the only resistance is from the return spring.

I checked the clutch master cylinder fluid level and it's fine.

When I press the pedal, the slave cylinder doesn't move at all.

I've checked on the pedal side: it is still attached to a "vertical rod" (I guess it's the one going to the master cylinder). Is there anything which could have detached there and not activating the master cylinder? (I can barely see anything up there…)

With a completely soft clutch pedal, which could be the problem? The master cylinder? I tried to look for fluid leaks, but didn't see any.

Is there any temporary fix I could do so I could drive ~50km in the city and highway to see my mechanic? (I'm not allowed to repair my car in my garage)

Another question: it's very strange that this problem appeared suddendly without warning. What if it happened while I was driving?

If I'm driving in traffic and this problem occured, what am I supposed to do in emergency to not crash in a pedestian/car/wall/whatever in front of me?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,970 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 July 2023 - 10:21 AM

Check the Clevis pin is in place from the pedal to the master cylinder push rod.

#3 OlivierW2

OlivierW2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 10:33 AM

Thanks @nicklouse! Yes, I have already checked, it's what I meant with: "I've checked on the pedal side: it is still attached to a "vertical rod"

".

But I have checked the diagrams found here: https://www.minispar...cs/GMC1008.aspx and I am not sure how everything is all attached (and I barely can see anything in my car).

Does the pedal is directly attached to the master cylinder with this clevis pin or is there anything else in between? If there's nothing else, it looks OK on my Mini.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users