Photo
- - - - -

London Ulez Classic Car 'historic' 40 Year Exemptions?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:47 AM

My 1981 Pickup, not yet registered as a Historic Vehicle on the V5, shows I have to pay the ULEZ charge, but as I live on the borders of Essex / London, it merely means I wont drive it in any London borough of.. council, so Mr Khan and is other money grabbing idiots will get no revenue out of it from me, but the smalll businesses and shops just inside the border will all probably go under as people decide not to add £12,50 to their shopping bill.

#32 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:59 AM

I read that only 10% of vehicles were non compliant so unless this is numerically huge I fail to see much return on the taxpayers investment in ULEZ.Remember this,TAXPAYER funded.Steve..

#33 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 July 2023 - 05:02 PM

I read that only 10% of vehicles were non compliant so unless this is numerically huge I fail to see much return on the taxpayers investment in ULEZ.Remember this,TAXPAYER funded.Steve..

This 10% nonsense, much quoted, is based on only 200 cameras in the proposed new area.

It equates to basing a view of the makeup of the world's population, climate and wildlife by studying the Isle of Wight!

#34 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 July 2023 - 06:50 PM

Might have guessed that there could be some bias towards the proposed.What a shocker.Steve..

#35 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 July 2023 - 07:22 PM

ULEZ 'Blade Runners' strike again hitting eight cameras in West London....

The group, nicknamed the 'Blade Runners', has vowed to remove 'every single one' of the Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras that catch out drivers using high-polluting vehicles across the capital:-

https://www.thisismo...est-London.html

Edited by mab01uk, 30 July 2023 - 07:23 PM.

#36 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 07:27 PM

This 10% nonsense, much quoted, is based on only 200 cameras in the proposed new area.

It equates to basing a view of the makeup of the world's population, climate and wildlife by studying the Isle of Wight!

"As of 22 February 2023, DVLA data shows a total of 691,559 licensed cars in the whole of Greater London were either petrol cars first registered prior to January 2006 or diesel cars registered prior to September 2015 – the key dates for meeting ULEZ standards.

This figure rises to 851,065 when counting all non-compliant vehicles, rather than solely cars.

But the number of drivers affected once the zone expands is likely to be far higher when taking into account vehicles entering from bordering counties such as Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire and Essex.

TfL estimates that around 160,000 non-compliant cars a day currently drive in the area that will become part of the expanded zone later this summer."

https://www.rac.co.u...EZ-this-summer/

Edited by mab01uk, 30 July 2023 - 07:29 PM.

#37 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 30 July 2023 - 11:32 PM

The tfl site shows both my minis a 1977 and a 1979 are not excempt, I have driven in the first ULEZ zone with my 77 mini and never received a charge so must be OK, after the stupid decision to grant khan more ways to extort money from the people of London and surrounding areas I am now selling my house and moving 90 miles away, this new tax is so unjustified, I have lived in London for all of my 73 years but I can't stand the fact that one crazy arrogant, ignorant, mentally deranged person can do what he likes without the government in power doing anything about it,robbery and violent crime is increasing but this does not seem to bother this horrible, horrible, creature called Khan.

Allan

Edited by Aly-g, 30 July 2023 - 11:34 PM.

#38 mgjalopy

mgjalopy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:20 AM

Hi fellow Mini lovers

I have trawled through this topic here and on websites,and am so confused! Can someone advise how to get my beloved wheels reclassified. I live and drive out in the suburbs and am about to become part of evil Khan's cash grab, so I want to make sure he doesn't get one penny once my car is 40. It doesn't sound as if the TFL website check is very reliable, as people have said their cars still show chargeable even though historic.

The government website says something about taking paperwork to the Post Office and having to send off the log book, plus forms to send off to be exempt from tax and also MOT. (What ever happened to doing things online?!) Gone are the days when you could simply ring up the DVLA and ask these things!!

Cheers
Chris

#39 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:41 AM

Hi fellow Mini lovers

I have trawled through this topic here and on websites,and am so confused! Can someone advise how to get my beloved wheels reclassified. I live and drive out in the suburbs and am about to become part of evil Khan's cash grab, so I want to make sure he doesn't get one penny once my car is 40. It doesn't sound as if the TFL website check is very reliable, as people have said their cars still show chargeable even though historic.

The government website says something about taking paperwork to the Post Office and having to send off the log book, plus forms to send off to be exempt from tax and also MOT. (What ever happened to doing things online?!) Gone are the days when you could simply ring up the DVLA and ask these things!!

Cheers
Chris

when was the car first registered ?

the process is pretty straightforward:  download, print off and fill out form V112 (Declaration of MOT exemption) and take that along with your V5C to a post office that deals with Vehicle tax and ask them to change the tax class to Historic.  they will update the system and send the V5C off to DVLA

#40 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:47 AM

It's been a while since I changed my car to historic status but I'm fairly sure that when i changed it over I did it on line, because you don't need to send your log book off now to change ownership, also you can phone the DVLA to ask, i have found them very helpful in the past.

Allan

#41 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:48 AM

You will receive a new log book with historic class on it

Allan

Edited by Aly-g, 31 July 2023 - 08:53 AM.

#42 mgjalopy

mgjalopy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:18 AM

So the Post Office update the system themselves and take my log book to send to DVLA? Bit of a worry sending valuable things like log books in the mail! You would think these things would be done online by now. After its registered do I need to also register the fact for ULEZ or should it know if it sees my registration drive past one of its evil cameras? I don't fancy my chances of getting my money back if they keep on fining me once it's historic class.

I presume once it's historic class I then have to do the other forms for tax and MOT with the Post Office?

I am getting a bit ahead of myself as unfortunately my car was registered in 1986, so I have a little bit of a wait. I will have to give Khan several thousand pounds for the few times I drive my car locally during the week. I guess by the time it's 40 we will probably all be on pay-per-mile anyway; so it will be irrelevant. I wonder if owners with historic cars will be exempt from that!

Honestly, only rich people will be able to afford to drive soon!

#43 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:29 AM

All of it is free as far as I know

register at post office as above (or possibly online or by phoning them)

when done, use the ULEZ exemption registration page https://tfl.gov.uk/m...efore-you-start which would either say 'already exempt' if you don't need to, or complete the process and become exempt. as applicable

I know the admin sounds like a pain but you only have to do it once it's really not that massive a drama

mine's an 88 so I've got a while to wait as well (mind you it'll probably take half that time just to finish building it anyway..) I suppose if it's your only car then you dont have a lot of choice but I'm guessing like me for most people it's a weekend 'fun' car and they do most of the commuting etc in some boring everyday modern day lump of metal which is compliant

Edited by stuart bowes, 31 July 2023 - 09:32 AM.

#44 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:50 AM

I recently changed a 1982 Mini to 'Historic' tax class.

Download, print and:-

Fill out V112 MOT exemption form.

Fill out a V10 vehicle tax form.

V5c - fill out change of tax class to 'Historic' and sign/date.

(I suggest you keep photo-copies or scans of all documents before handing them over at PO)

Take all 3 documents to a local post office (usually a main office who deal in car tax/ smaller local offices don't).

The people at the PO counter are often a bit confused as they don't do many and don't take any money for the transaction but follow instructions on a screen.

They scan the barcode on the V5c, retain the documents and send them off to the DVLA.

They give you a printed receipt for the documents which say your reg number is now taxed.

9 weeks later I received a new V5c in the post with Historic tax class from DVLA and the MOT exemption form was returned in a separate envelope.

Apply for a vehicle tax exemption:-

https://www.gov.uk/h...e-tax-exemption

Edited by mab01uk, 31 July 2023 - 09:56 AM.

#45 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:58 AM

So the Post Office update the system themselves and take my log book to send to DVLA? 

I presume once it's historic class I then have to do the other forms for tax and MOT with the Post Office?

I am getting a bit ahead of myself as unfortunately my car was registered in 1986

Yes; they'll send the form to DVLA

No; it's all done at the same time : form V112 declares it's MOT exempt and supports the change of tax class to Historic which makes it free to tax (..car still needs to be taxed annually, but at no cost)

I changed mine last week, and as part of the process they taxed the car

with an '86 car the earliest you'll be able to submit the forms will be 1st April 2027 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users