7 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 06:47 PM

Some years ago a replaced my coil with a new Lucas one from Mini Spares. It arrived and I instantly hated it being silver so I painted it black. While it was hanging to dry, it fell and caused a small dent on the bottom edge. I installed and things seemed just fine. I a sure I could figure out how many miles are on it but under 10k for sure. That is the backstory.

Fast forward to last night, I am giving the car a good thrash as I was going to change the oil and wanted the oil nice and hot. Almost home, I noticed on a downshift blip, the tach seemed to jump too much and move back too sharply. Motor cant change RPM like that. Looked like a video game. Car started misfiring and in a matter or seconds was no longer running. I was able to start it up again but it BARELY ran!! While it was sputtering, I pulled each plug wire, one by one, reinstalling before the next, and it made no difference. I mean, it was barely ticking over.

I picked up and got it home and just thought to see if the coil was it. Spares happen to send me 2 in that order and being in the US returns are not ideal. I slapped the new one on and it fired right back up! Drove it another 20 minutes and it all seems right as rain. Question thought...does that check out? 

I have had plenty of issues with modern parts failing...like MANY. Is this just another to add to the list. I can almost guarantee you that if I dig out my Rover original one, from 94 with at least 50k on it, it would work just fine. 

Thoughts? Thanks All!

#2 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:53 PM

Same thing happened to me. It was the Lucas coil. Only difference is my spi developed a further problem soon after which I traced to the lambda sensor. Doubt whether they were linked, just a bit of bad luck. Replaced sensor and now running better than ever.

I don't think Lucas products are quite what they were. There are several British made coils on the market which I now use for the mini and MG.

#3 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 12:19 AM

Interesting! Well, about to do a 400 mile trip tomorrow so I guess we will see.

One issue I have had with my car is this stumble around 4K, mainly in 3rd and 4th. I have a good deal done to the motor and I know I’m maxing out what the SPi can handle, HP/fueling wise but it hits the wall at around 4K and takes a bit to get past. Then it revs happily to 6…if I want to. I’ll have a lot of time to test to see if this was all related tomorrow.

#4 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 30 July 2023 - 01:34 PM

I'm surprised that you got as long as you did out of a lucas part, it one brand i tend to avoid these days.

#5 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 30 July 2023 - 11:17 PM

If changing the coil fixed it then it is most likely the coil, they don't last very long anymore. Make sure it is solidly mounted, I haven't tested it but vertical may last better than horizontal.

#6 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 07:06 PM

Well, I might be switching then to something else. I really hate unreliability. Been trying for the last nearly 20 years to work it out of this car.
The trip went great though. Car ran just fine and no further issues along these lines. Did a total of 400 miles.
What strange shutter/block/bog is still there around 3500-4000k in 3rd and 4th though. Was really hoping that was related:-/

#7 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:52 PM

Well, I might be switching then to something else. I really hate unreliability. Been trying for the last nearly 20 years to work it out of this car.
The trip went great though. Car ran just fine and no further issues along these lines. Did a total of 400 miles.
What strange shutter/block/bog is still there around 3500-4000k in 3rd and 4th though. Was really hoping that was related:-/

I wish I could test everyone's minis on my engine analyser but that doesn't work over the internet. If you can find someone near you with an engine analyser (As in a big machine with a scope like the Sun, Allen or Bear ones), they should be able to determine if it is the coil or ignition system. If they know what they are doing they can also diagnose if it is a fuel or valve issue too.

#8 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 02:19 PM

Not sure I have seen anyone over on this side of the pond with one of those. I am sure they are out there though. I need to finally sort out the MEMs dialog app so I can capture data and share. That might help someone on here point me in the right direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users