5 replies to this topic

#1 StuTheGimp

StuTheGimp

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 07:54 AM

Just recently I got a new exhaust fitted to my mpi as the old one was uncomfortably loud. Now that I can actually hear things while driving along, I've noticed a strange jingly-rattle coming from the front wheels on both sides whilst going over sharp bumps. The rattle is loud enough to attract looks from pedestrians (much as I like to think it's just the good looks of the car.....or even the driver!) and it's quite embarrassing to be driving a rattling car! I thought it might be the front subframe was loose, but I've had it checked and it's OK. I've also noticed that when I have my foot on the brakes, even just slightly, the rattle completely stops. I have Minisport alloy 4-pot calipers and vented discs which I fitted last year. My current theory, although it seems odd, is that the brake pads are rattling in the calipers. Does this sound likely to anyone.......and are there any ideas on how to test it?

Thanks,

Stu

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:06 AM

Check the straps between the steering rod ball joints and the disc splash guards. They tend to fail and will produce symptoms like you have described. It's relatively easy to cut and shape replacements from steel sheet or you can buy them, here:

#3 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 10:45 AM

Agree with the above. You can test by tapping on the back of them with your finger and see if they make the sound you're hearing

Edited by roblightbody, 01 August 2023 - 10:45 AM.

#4 StuTheGimp

StuTheGimp

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 02:17 PM

That would have been my go-to as well, but I don't have them fitted. All the ball joints are brand new too.

Edited by StuTheGimp, 01 August 2023 - 02:21 PM.

#5 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:22 PM

Sure it's not just pad knock? you need to fully inspect each corner, don't assume anything because it's new.

#6 StuTheGimp

StuTheGimp

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 03:35 PM

I contacted Minisport about this and they kindly sent me a set of rubber sticky shims for the pads to try and stop the rattle. I found someone on another forum with the same issue and they had cured it by fitting a set of Metro Turbo brake pad spring clips. So I've fitted both the shims and the spring clips and it's cured the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users