2 replies to this topic

#1 v6matt

v6matt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 05:54 PM

Hi from Lincolnshire, I've recently bought an 81 mini that the previous owner started to rebuild. Unfortunately it turned out to be beyond repair and he bought another shell. Not sure who did it but the outer seams have been mostly ground off.
How difficult would it be to replace them?

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 August 2023 - 07:31 AM

Welcome.Replacing the seams is easy if you can fabricate and weld,much more difficult if you cannot.I would imagine very expensive to have professionally done.Hope this reply is not too negative,the skills can be learned.Steve..

#3 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 09:10 AM

sounds like someone was trying to deseam it and then realised how big a job that was .. 'beyond repair' isn't really a thing is it, you just replace panels until it's complete again

if you look at post #176 of my build I replaced a grotty bit of seam on my rear panel, that's one (but not necessarily the only) way of doing it

https://www.theminif...-998/?p=3743716

depending how much seam is missing I suppose I'd probably just work my way around replacing it in small sections while trying to use whatever was left as a guide for alignment and shaping the curves etc

the seam trims will help to disguise any slight wonkiness (within reason)

failing that if you just want to spot / plug weld then buy new panels but that might get a bit pricey

Edited by stuart bowes, 02 August 2023 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users