4 replies to this topic

#1 timb2117

timb2117

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 09:00 AM

Hello hope someone can help, got a 95 spi, japanese spec with A/C, the top bracket for the alternator fouls plug lead 4, hoping someone can assist me in where to get one as in the below picture.

Paul_Smith_003.JPG

the maybe 1 1/2 black top bracketwith single affixing bolt just adjacent to top hose of rad is what I am after please any help would be really appreciated. thanks.

#2 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 04:06 PM

Can you post a picture of your? 

#3 timb2117

timb2117

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 10:04 PM

Darn it I am struggling to get my pictures from desktop to here, very frustrating, I may have looked more closely though, so my actual alternator is upside down compared to "his" on the green photo, so there are 3 lugs holding it in place total and if I do as planned it would only have two!

I think I need to find a way to actually change the bottom mounting point into a mount for the two lugs and THEN change this top point so that my leads can come in cleanly. Will endeavour to upload somehow - picture tells a thousand words.

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 05:50 PM

Seems strange that the alt would foul the plug from the factory. The picture above looks to be a Japanese car as well as its has the SPi unit, MPi block and AC...the green rocker cover likely pointing to a Paul Smith Edition...and they seemed to have gotten more over there then the UK did.

#5 timb2117

timb2117

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 12:00 AM

Sadly there's a lot of "un - factory" about mine it has had various "improvements" and I would not necessarily believe it is the correct alternator although it is kicking out 70A and mine does have a Factory bracket.

Essentially the two lugs at front and rear of alternator are mounted upwards, and are either side of plug 4, that means the normal length lead wont fit, I have used another one that's longer and fed it over the top of alternator lug and into the middle, its pretty functional but not clever.

I have had a close look and this alternator it wont be reversible to put single lug at top as in this photograph - that would be my ideal fix- so I think I will go down avenue of newer smaller motorsport alternator and fabricate custom brackets - as no one else has responded I assume the original bracket as photo that I am after is like hens teeth.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users