17 replies to this topic

#1 DAC0800

DAC0800

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 01:43 PM

Just changed my rear wheel bearings on my 1997 sportpack,there was nothing wrong with the old one but I thought I would change them anyway due to mileage,I bought some from mini spares Timken.just took it for mot and failed on excessive play in both rear bearing.ive torqued them up to 65lbs.just put original ones back in and there's no play.Noiticed codes on bearings are different could this be the problem

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:10 PM

Timken come as a matched set of three parts. You did not mix them up or use parts from something else?

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 20 August 2023 - 07:32 AM

I noticed this with my new timkens too. Had to use a bearing shim of 2 thou.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 August 2023 - 09:57 AM

The whole point of a Timken Taper Bearing is that you adjust it !

The nut used to be adjusted until rotating the wheel gave a hint of resistance;  the nut was then backed off to the nearest split-pin alignment.

The spacer was probably an EU directive to stop idiots tightening the nut so tight that the bearing became inoperable.

Edited by DeadSquare, 20 August 2023 - 10:20 AM.

#5 DAC0800

DAC0800

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 01:53 PM

There's 4 different Codes one on each bearing they must be batch numbers,I've tried torquing them up to 90lbs buts it's not making any difference looks like I need to take away metal not add shims ,the center of the bearing are touching each other in the hub so they must be pre loaded,

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 August 2023 - 03:07 PM

There are taper bearings without spacers, but not on Minis. The spacer allows you to clamp the inner races against the stub axle with the nut. That inner race assembly needs to be a close tolerance with the outer races & hub. As Nick says, Timken achieve that by putting together an assembly of components that together should match the "missing link" that is the outer race spacer, built in to the hub.

That's why they have to be fitted just as they were by Timken, even pairing the wrong inner race to the other outer from the same matched pair can mess things up.

#7 DAC0800

DAC0800

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 03:15 PM

Im sure I haven't mixed them up .I will see what mini spares have to say Thanks for your advice

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 August 2023 - 08:43 PM

If the originals are a good fit I see no reason to replace them. They're pretty bombproof as long as the grease doesn't get contaminated.

#9 DAC0800

DAC0800

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 05:15 AM

I threw one set away and kept one set for spares,your right should have left them alone

#10 MiniJosh92

MiniJosh92

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 07:35 AM

This seems to be a thing with Timken rear bearings currently. I recently tried four sets of Timken bearings in four different hubs and the exact same result every time. The two faces of the inner race were touching before the bearings seating.

#11 DAC0800

DAC0800

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 10:44 AM

Just an update I've been in contact with mini spares and timken are aware of the problem it looks like some of the later rover hubs are slightly different so there is an issue,mini spares have recommend I have the spacer machined down on the bearings faces or find some older hubs , or send them back which leaves me with no bearing,o joy

#12 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 02:12 PM

Just an update I've been in contact with mini spares and timken are aware of the problem it looks like some of the later rover hubs are slightly different so there is an issue,mini spares have recommend I have the spacer machined down on the bearings faces or find some older hubs , or send them back which leaves me with no bearing,o joy

When you say 'later' do you mean 1996 onwards? It's surprising that this is a new issue as I'm guessing new timken bearings have been used in these later hubs for years? Why the problem now?

#13 DAC0800

DAC0800

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 03:10 PM

Seems strange to me I would think it's more to do with the bearings being machined wrong otherwise this problem would have come up years ago

#14 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 05:06 PM

I've got a pair of rear hubs that need bearings soon.
This Timken not fitting lark is not instilling me with confidence.

#15 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 07:30 PM

I fitted new Minispares Timken bearings all round in January all were kept in there matched sets and not one single problem all torqued up perfectly. I’d drop Simon a message and see what he says.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users