17 replies to this topic

#16 DAC0800

DAC0800

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 01:11 PM

Just got a set of bearings from minimine and measured them they are 19.86mm compared to the Timken which are 19.98 so hopefully this should solve the problem,I will fit them over the weekend and if they are ok I will reduce the size of the timkens and have them for spares

#17 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 23 August 2023 - 08:22 PM

Just got a set of bearings from minimine and measured them they are 19.86mm compared to the Timken which are 19.98 so hopefully this should solve the problem,I will fit them over the weekend and if they are ok I will reduce the size of the timkens and have them for spares

There's a bit (lot) more to it than just the width of the inner races (which is I assume what you have measured?)

Too much to explain really but just to give you a flavour, other important dimensions are related to the effective sizes of the outer race and inner bearing which is in turn dependent on the diameters of the individual components i.e. the inner race and rollers.  However that's not to say that the narrower bearings won't work. 

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,418 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 August 2023 - 09:12 AM

The taper means a slight  difference in radial tolerance will translate to a bigger difference in axial tolerance, just as a wedge, or screw thread, allows you to drive the wedge horizontally to create a bigger force vertically. A bearing set has 4 such tapers too.

That said, some may find a different combination of components gives a better fit - that's what Timken do, but they'll have a choice of hundreds of bits to mix 'n match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users