#1 AlexB

AlexB

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:06 PM

Hey 

My mini is rusting in the gutters around the roof, mostly visible from the underside. Any tips on how to fix it? The roof itself is (pretty much) rust free and inside looks good too.

Cheers!

k4mP9pr.jpg

68lO0Qn.jpg

uzT5FFW.jpg

LJ4xIHm.jpg

4GeQvAY.jpg

#2 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:17 PM

Remove the drip rail and see what it is like underneath.

#3 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:55 PM

I'd start with some heavy duty wire brushing back to bare metal you might be surprised to find much of it could be surface rust which will take a bit of kurusting (or similar) and repainting

Edited by stuart bowes, 03 September 2023 - 01:56 PM.

#4 AlexB

AlexB

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 02:15 PM

Thanks chaps :)

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,904 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 September 2023 - 02:24 PM

I’m going to be a negative Nellie here and say there are more issues here than meets the eye.

Wire brushing will show what’s what but to me I think the roof has been painted at some point and there are things going on as I see at least two areas of concern where rust is coming through from the inside of the skin. Don’t forget you will not see everything from inside due to the way the construction is.

As mentioned take the drip rail off, it’s only spot welded on the. Go from there. If the rust is forming from under the roof skin to to side panel flange then it will be a loosing battle as no matter what you do it will come back.

#6 AlexB

AlexB

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 03:02 PM

I’m going to be a negative Nellie here and say there are more issues here than meets the eye.

That was my original thought too - but how do I fix it? Is it roof skin off, fix, and re-fit? 

The car is getting a new floor soon, so a bit more cutting won't do any harm. 

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 September 2023 - 04:32 PM

Rake out the seam sealer and dismantle from underneath.remove any rust and replace in the opposite order.Easyish but time consuming.Bear in mind I have no money and plenty of time.It is only metal.Steve..

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,904 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 September 2023 - 04:32 PM

That was my original thought too - but how do I fix it? Is it roof skin off, fix, and re-fit? 
The car is getting a new floor soon, so a bit more cutting won't do any harm.

This is the issue, you could spend a load of time wire brushing treating etc to only find it coming back time and time again.

If it’s localised roof sections you can repair these with roof cuts. A bit fiddly but very doable. That would be the preferred route in this case but if you feel in your heart of hearts this won’t be the case then a full roof skin would be the way fwd.

If it was my car I would probably strip it all back have a really good poke around then factor in either a full roof skin or if things are not as bad as they look try and get some roof Sections.

#9 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 06:18 PM

The roof section would have been spot welded on at the factory, when all the panels were nice and shiny, but now I think attaining a good weld could be difficult. Looking at the pictures the rust is probably spread well into these joints and cleaning down may prove difficult . The steel is not that thick origonally and any grinding up to get a clean weldable surface will reduce this even more.

Take a long hard look a what you have before you start cutting bits off because welding back on could prove hard to do.

It may be that your roof has been replaced at some time and this rust is the result.

No matter what your approach is to this repair tread carefully before you start.

#10 AlexB

AlexB

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 07:07 PM

You make it sound very scary!

I will dig it out and see whats left before comitting. Thanks everyone. 

#11 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 07:21 PM

Did not intend to cause you any panic, but once you cut a bit off you are committed to the repair.

#12 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 07:31 PM

I had similar rust on my mk1. The restorer had that area bead blasted (after removing drip rail) to see the damage. Luckily it was only surface and the inside cant rails etc were fine. Awkward area to wire brush successfully.

#13 AlexB

AlexB

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 05:15 PM

Hey guys

Quick update!

Firstly I went around and ground out all the sealant around the roof, and while there were a few bubbles, it wasn't as bad as it looked and I have treated it. 

I also removed both drip rails, and I think we got there just in time - the rot was between the drip rail and the roof, and other than a tiny hole in the rear window aperture  that I filled with a little weld, it seems really solid. I removed any signs of rot with the grinder, treated the rust and gave it a quick blast of zinc primer.

Do I actually need to re-fit the drip rails?

Thanks for the advice/help!

xZdazN9.jpg

zjNRbG8.jpg

(Ignore the fact the car is on it's roof - doing other repairs too!)

#14 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 10 September 2023 - 08:13 PM

The drip rails are not needed.

#15 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:48 PM

The drip rails are not needed.

But they are a good indication that the car is on its original shell and if they were missing at a first glance it would look like its been reshelled.  Personally I would refit them and seal them up well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users