#1 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 02:23 PM

Hi,

I am looking for a classic mini to buy in Scotland, not that many to choose from. There is quite a nice cooper not too far from me but it is an automatic, does anyone have any thoughts on that, I would really prefer a manual. 

Other than that, the car look great.

Thanks

#2 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 03:56 PM

Wait for a manual, autos are terrible imho, and more expensive to repair.

Also you cant just swap the gearbox, as the blocks are different.

Edited by beardylondon, 04 September 2023 - 03:56 PM.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,832 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 September 2023 - 04:22 PM

Automatic Coopers were only sold in Japan so it will be an import, usually with air conditioning which was also only factory fitted for the Japanese market.

Lots of useful info on Automatic Minis here:-

https://autominiregi....proboards.com/

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 04:37 PM

I guess it's mostly about what you want it for, if you like a sedate afternoon countryside cruise in a classic car just putting about at your own leisure then it'll be fine probably

but I think for most (or a lot of) people the idea of getting a mini is tied up with having a very responsive nippy little car with excellent handling that you can really hoon about the place and enjoy as as 'drivers' car . part of that is blipping the throttle on the down-change and screaming into the turn, staying in the powerband ready to shoot out of the exit like your hair is on fire .  you can't do that sort of stuff with an auto can you

so horses for courses

I've never driven one but I can't imagine a 60 year old automatic gearbox design would be massively exciting to drive

but again maybe you like the nice afternoon cruise and pretending to be Jackie Stewart isn't your thing..

Edited by stuart bowes, 04 September 2023 - 04:38 PM.

#5 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 09:40 PM

I had an automatic mini 850 (Mk1 1967) and it was probably the best mini i've ever driven although it had only done 37K miles from new!

It was a little slow but at the time I had it I was driving a 400HP supercharged Jaguar S-Type R daily so most cars were going to feel slow compared to that :-)  I used to just try and keep the speed up and it was a nippey little thing.

As above it depends on what you want, if your ok with an auto and the price (and condition) of the car are good then I would go for it.

Of course as also mentioned above if the box breaks then its going to be harded to get it fixed and you can't just change to manual without changing the enginer or at least some serious skilled work to the existing engine to machine it to fit.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,832 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 September 2023 - 09:42 PM

Prototype Mini Automatic 1962

"In 1965 the world's smallest automatic gearbox arrived, specially developed by Automotive Products. All parts were housed in the sump and uniquely lubricated by circulating the engine oil. Announced in 1965 but because of many problems only became available in quantity from 1967 making Mk1 versions very rare. Early testing revealed that oil surge in the sump under cornering could cause oil starvation of the torque converter and sky-high engine revs. To compensate for this failing the oil pump was moved to the centre of the sump and oil capacity was increased.
Final assembly problems also arose and manufacture of the gearboxes was transferred to clinically clean, dust free rooms to ensure a dependable assembly of the unit with its numerous hydraulic valves.
The design itself put all known hydraulic boxes in the shade and to make the most of the engine's meagre output, gave four speeds as against the three of other automatics current at the time."

More here:-

https://www.theminif...automatic-1962/

Edited by mab01uk, 04 September 2023 - 09:43 PM.

#7 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 05 September 2023 - 02:16 AM

Despite what many people are quick to say, there is nothing wrong about the autos. Many people who criticise them don't even realise that they are four speed not three.

I say most people who criticise them probably don't know much about them at all and therefore what they say can be dismissed.

From what I read about the availability of QUALITY manual parts I would actually suspect that if I wanted to do a quality rebuild of a manual transmission it might actually cost more than an auto. Generally there isn't much wear to an auto other than the consumable parts which are the clutch plates and brake bands.

If you are even questioning it though you probably want a manual or you would otherwise end up converting it later. If you want the fastest mini possible then you don't want an auto but that doesn't at all mean they are slow or bad.

Edited by 68+86auto, 05 September 2023 - 02:19 AM.

#8 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 08:47 AM

Autos are often in better condition, body-wise, as they tend to have had fewer owners and been driven less... plus I believe you can manually select the gears if you want to.

It is possible to convert to manual though it's not a straight swap.

I've never driven one, but if I was looking to buy now I would not discount an auto.

#9 AP2020

AP2020

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 10:35 PM

Autos are often in better condition, body-wise, as they tend to have had fewer owners and been driven less... plus I believe you can manually select the gears if you want to.

It is possible to convert to manual though it's not a straight swap.

I've never driven one, but if I was looking to buy now I would not discount an auto.

Yes you can manually select the gears and unlike other autos they won't change unless you move the ,ever, the only thing I wished they had spent more time on was the OWC or One Way Clutch to get first, as it means you have no engine breaking in first.

#10 AP2020

AP2020

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 10:37 PM

I've never driven one but I can't imagine a 60 year old automatic gearbox design would be massively exciting to drive

You should find a good late 1275 automatic and go for a spin, not like miss daisy, but really drive it hard, you will be impressed :)

#11 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 11 March 2024 - 10:11 AM

only issue is using engine oil for transmission so need to do regular changes, 3K, this is where it got the bad reputation when people didn't  but if this has been done not bad. had a disabled friend with one years ago with hand controls was not slow

#12 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 06:23 PM

My parents bought an auto clubman estate when it was only a few years old-L reg 1973, my mum really liked it.

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,491 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 March 2024 - 09:30 PM

Automatic minis go well, not quite as good as a manual but close enough and lazier to drive 😁

#14 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 12 March 2024 - 07:25 AM

Just to confirm if you are thinking changing engine the whole subframe also needs to be changed. Different mounting points.

Also need a gear linkage and the associated parts. Very doable though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users