Photo
- - - - -

Tell Me How, To Position Tapped Hole For Reverse Light Switch In Gear Selector?

Best Answer Spider , 13 September 2023 - 10:17 AM

I'm a bit perplexed here as when the Rod Shift came out, just about every country in the world had mandated Reversing Lights, so I'm quite sure there would be provision for a switch in your shifter.

As far as I am aware, there was only 3 housing types ever made, all had at least a Reverse Light Switch and some had an additional hole, some of which can be used for the Switch.

The first was a 42H1195. These only had a single hole on the right hand side (as fitted in the car) for the Reverse Light Switch;-

Hi7nuTn.jpg

1DsBiSC.jpg

I've included some dimensions on this last one, the horizontal measurement was to the very front on the housing where the steady rod bolts up to, sorry it's out of shot. The measurement from the bottom is from the base of the housing with the cover removed.

LfpD8KJ.jpg

The later housing was the DAM3615

276FJ6I.jpg

This also had the same hole as the earlier type in the same location;-

OjHQTpm.jpg

It also had a second hole on the other side in a different location (also measured to the front as above but out of shot);-

uHdiqu1.jpg

NOTE that on all of these, there's extra material where they are drilled and tapped. The housings as they are are too thin to drill and tap, they are less than 2 mm thick. I have modified some of these earlier types to take a switch in the other side, but I added some material before drilling and tapping.

The thread is 3/8" UNC.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 09:52 PM

I have no reverse switch in my selector or hole for one. APparently all I need to do is drill and tap into in an undrilled boss on the side.

Do you know anyuthing about how I may have to postion the hole accurately for it to work OK, and incidentally, before I purchase the switch to see for myself,  the  thread specs?

Cheers,

John

Edited by chuee, 08 September 2023 - 09:54 PM.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 September 2023 - 03:17 AM

If your Mini is a post 1974 model, with a Rod Shift Gearbox, it will have one already there. It's on the RH side of the Shifter Housing.

You can see here on this one;-

bLyEjFu.jpg

If your Gearbox is an earlier type, the Switch is fitted to the Gearbox itself.

#3 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 08:14 AM

I just checked mine and the reverse light switch is located in a hole on the other side of the housing in line with the stick.  There is a hole in the location you show but it is plugged.  Putting a reverse light switch in that hole would be close to and above the exhaust.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 07:13 PM

I just checked mine and the reverse light switch is located in a hole on the other side of the housing in line with the stick.  There is a hole in the location you show but it is plugged.  Putting a reverse light switch in that hole would be close to and above the exhaust.

Yes, post approx 1984-ish, they had 2 holes. The one I've shown above is for the reverse light switch. The second hole on the left side was for a second switch that was used with some emission set ups so the system knew when top gear was selected, though that can also be used for a Reverse Light Switch.

#5 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 08:29 PM

If your Mini is a post 1974 model, with a Rod Shift Gearbox, it will have one already there. It's on the RH side of the Shifter Housing.

If your Gearbox is an earlier type, the Switch is fitted to the Gearbox itself.

Thanks Spider. That's interesting. My engine is originally an  MG Metro , and I think the rod change mechanism and selctor box was added from an early mini, lacking the switch hole.

If Metros ever had a hole for reverse light switch, I have not spotted it on my engine, or a plug, but I shall have a careful look armed with that info. However, as I understand things a Metro engine is of the 'later type' gearbox.

One solution I have is to buy the threaded hole from Minispares,  quite reasonable really, at  about £159  plus VAT and free postage, and the hole comes with an optional new aluminium selector housing thrown in for free too (postage extra).  But then again, I thought I might have a go at making a hole myself , not out of  thin air, but drilling and tapping into the my existing housing.  :lol:

Q. Before i   'have a go at it'  , and assuming there is no Geabox provision for the switch,  are there any useful tips about how I go about locating accurately drilling a hole in the selector mechanism housing on the  Drver side? 

- its probably not that critical, I guess... I shall find out in the end I suppose.

Q any knowledge of thread specs? 

Any useful info  much appreciated.

cheers,

John

Edited by chuee, 12 September 2023 - 08:45 PM.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 September 2023 - 10:30 PM

I'd take the bottom cover off so you can see what the switch will be operated by and aim your hole at that. Some calipers, actual or improvised could be used to transfer the point from the inside to the outside.

#7 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 07:48 AM

https://www.ebay.co....:Bk9SR6zU79fRYg

This item shows the hole location on the left hand side of the housing which is where my two minis have the switch.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 10:17 AM   Best Answer

I'm a bit perplexed here as when the Rod Shift came out, just about every country in the world had mandated Reversing Lights, so I'm quite sure there would be provision for a switch in your shifter.

As far as I am aware, there was only 3 housing types ever made, all had at least a Reverse Light Switch and some had an additional hole, some of which can be used for the Switch.

The first was a 42H1195. These only had a single hole on the right hand side (as fitted in the car) for the Reverse Light Switch;-

Hi7nuTn.jpg

1DsBiSC.jpg

I've included some dimensions on this last one, the horizontal measurement was to the very front on the housing where the steady rod bolts up to, sorry it's out of shot. The measurement from the bottom is from the base of the housing with the cover removed.

LfpD8KJ.jpg

The later housing was the DAM3615

276FJ6I.jpg

This also had the same hole as the earlier type in the same location;-

OjHQTpm.jpg

It also had a second hole on the other side in a different location (also measured to the front as above but out of shot);-

uHdiqu1.jpg

NOTE that on all of these, there's extra material where they are drilled and tapped. The housings as they are are too thin to drill and tap, they are less than 2 mm thick. I have modified some of these earlier types to take a switch in the other side, but I added some material before drilling and tapping.

The thread is 3/8" UNC.

Edited by Spider, 13 September 2023 - 07:53 PM.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 11:24 AM

In the UK we had rod change on Minis at least 3 or 4 years before any had reverse lights as original eqpt. Though they were an option, especially on Cars like the Allegro, which used the same box & selectors, just with longer rods. I suppose it's not impossible BL would have skipped drilling a hole as a cost saving, but I can't see it when it could cost them accessory sales and stop them rationalising the supply chain.

I'm still using a '73 selector that is drilled 'n tapped.

...thinking about it - I wonder if the "Allaggro" was the catalyst for the rod change 'box  :geek:

#10 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 11:58 AM

pretty sure I took my switch out of the lower positioned hole on the passenger side (last picture) and that would make sense with R being off to the right and down

just curious were there any other gear layouts over the years (5 speed?) with the reverse off to the left instead

#11 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 11:59 AM

(I.E. the later type oif hoiusing)....  a second hole on the other side in a different location (also measured to the front as above but out of shot);-

The thread is 3/8" UNC.

Spider, thanks for your perfectly informative and considerate reply. That sure helps me, and I'll mark it up as solved.

Considering your puzzlement, I thought I better take a good look again, it was last year I took a look, found no switch hole. 

This time I was too lazy to unscrew it or jack up merly to confirm, so felt with my fingers carefully, and yes, I do seem to have a hole thre after all! (98% confirmed). I'll order the switch and go ahead from there.. if I need to drill at the time , I will. Apologise if all this talk has been somehow unnecessary. 

Earlier When I scoured for previous posts I did come accross one that suggested drilling out a hole to the OP, and the advisor had stated specifically  that the very early rod shift mechanism housings were produced undrilled for reverse light switch, with a  switch  somehow envisioned for the future.  I cannot find that link though in my current  browsing history. (edit: I see the 'guy who's not a girl', above, confirms this is possibly true in the UK). That post had somehow confrmed beleif in what appears to be my mistake. This proves my suspiciion that even I can get in a muddle and be stupid. I feel ashamed.  Actually, I know it for fact, and I cant use intoxication  or  mult-tasking as an excuse. :ohno:

Perhaps earlier  I looked on the wrong side in translating the words I had read - now I hear that there was early  provision only for  a  second drillling on the passenger side too. I  had removed the shift lever gaitor to get a good look.

Actually it  is frequently hard to piece things together from several forum posts which, if unlucky,  may be directly  misleading, or with ambiguous, unclear sentences.  I tried hard to assume nothing, and only find out what's what. 

That is my excuse, and I shall continue try hard to keep things clear, so as to help other readers who follow. Apologies, once again.

Your  clear and very detailed  knowledge for things is admirable, appreciated -  I can feel the passion , commitment,  dilligence, good practice. Thanks for helpful considerate replies.  Great to think of you enjoying your drivng your mini(s). Me too.

Edited by chuee, 13 September 2023 - 12:12 PM.

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the kind words there, they are not lost on me, I am touched by them. We do have many fine members on these pages.

I did forget to mention in that post, the measurement up from the bottom is from the base of the Housing with the cover removed. I'll edit my post accordingly !

I'll order the switch and go ahead from there.

There's also a Lock Nut you'll need too. These are very thin too allow for a full range of adjustment. P/N GAE191.

In the UK we had rod change on Minis at least 3 or 4 years before any had reverse lights as original eqpt. Though they were an option, especially on Cars like the Allegro, which used the same box & selectors, just with longer rods. I suppose it's not impossible BL would have skipped drilling a hole as a cost saving, but I can't see it when it could cost them accessory sales and stop them rationalising the supply chain.

I'm still using a '73 selector that is drilled 'n tapped.

...thinking about it - I wonder if the "Allaggro" was the catalyst for the rod change 'box  :geek:

I'm a bit surprised you guys had them mandated so late. We had to have them here from January 1971. I'm sure however some fleet customers would have had them as part of their specification, eg, Police, Post, AA etc

The earliest housing I know of is the 42H1195, and best I am aware, they are all drilled and tapped.

pretty sure I took my switch out of the lower positioned hole on the passenger side (last picture) and that would make sense with R being off to the right and down

just curious were there any other gear layouts over the years (5 speed?) with the reverse off to the left instead

I do the same with the switch locations (hence why I've modified the earlier housings), but as all our cars had MKI floor pressings to the end of production, so it also entails putting a 'ding' in to the toeboard / tunnel / floor panel junction to get clearance for them.

There is another type of housing that was used in the Minis for the German market from the early or mid 80's. I don't know if they are based on yet another casting. These had another switch in them to send a signal when 4th gear was selected. I believe (and stand to be corrected !) it was something to do with the emission system fitted.

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 09:51 PM

I'm not even sure if they're a legal requirement now! (I  looked it up, only from Sep 2009)

Base models still used the mk2/3 light clusters in 1980.

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 10:35 PM

I'm not even sure if they're a legal requirement now! (I  looked it up, only from Sep 2009)

I am just shaking my head at that !

We only ever had the 'MK2 / MK3' light clusters here, they were only fitted to our Clubman models, so locally known as 'Clubman' assemblies. While that's what we had, the Indicator Bulb was a double filament type, though both elements were 21 watt. They are a difficult bulb to come by !

fITfMlp.jpg

The reference there to 'were they are fitted' is from the (roughly) first year of production when Reversing Lamps weren't yet mandated, however, it needs to be remembered here, this was prior to the Rod Shift Gearbox.

#15 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:27 PM

Spider wrote  "I am just shaking my head at that !

I'm ensuring my reverse switch is restored because in practice I would find it a boon, and I prefer an automatic reverse light switch. At the moment I have rigged up an illuminated toggle switch to manualy switch on the R lamp in the cluster which was factory fitted at time of manufacture. I think they are a GOOD idea. Almost indispensible, not absolutely , as in the case of brakes!

See, I can imagine the Parliament in those days discussing the reverse lamp, at the time when it wasn't mandatory.  Here's my imagination at work: A car following behind should keep its distance - so why would a reverse lamp be necessary as a signal? Only for bad drivers, and such habits should not be encouraged, but ironed out at driving test time, and beyond by policing on the streets or a smack  from a fatherly man. The first doesn't happen, the second is prohibited. Only deadly bad habits of the inconsiderate flourish nowadays . Bad habits for licence holders,  perhaps are always developed through lazy inconsideration - a stupidity. When reverse parking the indicator should be on, which is signal enough.

A reverse lamp may provide some illumination  however which is a nice option. But why mandate that? Its like mandating a sound system.  More though,  nowadays people are more (very) often  inconsiderate and foolishly in a silly rush In busy towns. In fact indicating is too much bother for thos epeople,  and if they do indicate, they very often  manouvre and indicate at the same time!

I ride a fast m/c intowns, and I find this state of affairs  is very often very dangerous to us, and to novices in partiucular;  at least once every short trip, even ten times in a mile. I despise those people who do that.

And so, given that following their driving test pass, people fully become foolish drivers in the goodness of time, and not necessarly better drivers,   a reverse lamp is so very useful when pullling up to reverse park, because the fools will stupidly (not accidentally) pull up right behind you. They do even with my reverse lights on (less so), but then might rereverse  if they are still able (often  only after you wave your arm at them  to do so because stupidity lingers a long time).

What we need is police on the street sto tell people off for not indicating, with a warning and record the incident. They need to be re-taught and fined for putting others in great danger. I am convinced it accounts  for many accidents. I feel sorry for youngsters.

Is this here thought experiment not silly? Well I ride a motorcycle and they dont have reverse lights, not even in Australia I would bet,  but we also need to reverse park often in towns. You guessed, the main problem is people pulling up right behind you, even when stopped and indicating.

Perhaps  people may want to switch off their lights and reverse without a lamp for some strange  reason. I can only think of Spies in a silent Rols Royce benefiting from that.  O_O

Anyway cars install reverse lamps as a matter of safety and convenience, and I think parliament usually leaves it to motor manufacturing own policy where possible because it is through motorists and manufacturers  that most innovations arise and become in demand. In other words, parliament recognises that it is the intelligence of  people that see to safety policies, just as they should see to safety in driving habits when actually driving.

John

Edited by chuee, 14 September 2023 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users