Photo
- - - - -

Clutch Overthrow Stop

Best Answer Spider , 12 September 2023 - 02:07 AM

The factory manuals don't actually suggest that for either Spring or Diaphragm Clutches of the Pre-Verto types.

They suggest after adjusting the free-play stop (the smaller 1/4" screw), to depress the Pedal to the floor, hold it there while an assistant winds on the over-throw nut to the cover, then release the pedal and wind the nut on 0.007" in the case of coil spring clutch and 0.010" for diaphragms.

I prefer to set them by pulling the arm out all the way until they hit a hard stop, winding the nut on to the cover, releasing the arm and winding on a further 1/4 of a turn.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 12:34 AM

I've been told that the requirement to have a .125" gap between the overthrow stop and clutch cover is not required with diaphragm type clutch and was required for the coil type clutches of years past.  True or false.?

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 September 2023 - 02:07 AM   Best Answer

The factory manuals don't actually suggest that for either Spring or Diaphragm Clutches of the Pre-Verto types.

They suggest after adjusting the free-play stop (the smaller 1/4" screw), to depress the Pedal to the floor, hold it there while an assistant winds on the over-throw nut to the cover, then release the pedal and wind the nut on 0.007" in the case of coil spring clutch and 0.010" for diaphragms.

I prefer to set them by pulling the arm out all the way until they hit a hard stop, winding the nut on to the cover, releasing the arm and winding on a further 1/4 of a turn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users