Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:13 PM

Hi all,

I was looking to gauge some opinions on the following car, as a first mini:

Marketplace – 1995 Classic Mini 1330cc | Facebook

I have checked the history and MOT record all checks out. The company have provided some further details, advising that the car was purchased at auction, hence the low price. They advise that it is in great condition, 2 sets of keys. 1 month left on MOT.

This is a transportation company as opposed to a car dealer but the car look fantastic and is just the style I am looking for.

Anything I should be mindful of?

#2 purple_fly06

purple_fly06

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Foresters

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:28 PM

I'd so a search on the forum regarding key areas and things to look at i.e. Rust, engine noises etc.

Things that instantly spring to my mind is that there isn't description of the vehicle on the ad, can they prove it's a 1330? Who did the work, when, receipts, spec, pictures etc. And I've never seen rear arches fitted up that high (I can see the side panel under the arch).

Anything on a mini is repairable with a bit of time, money and willingness to do it! So even if this one isn't for you it wouldn't take much effort to make one look like this.

#3 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:37 PM

I'd so a search on the forum regarding key areas and things to look at i.e. Rust, engine noises etc.

Things that instantly spring to my mind is that there isn't description of the vehicle on the ad, can they prove it's a 1330? Who did the work, when, receipts, spec, pictures etc. And I've never seen rear arches fitted up that high (I can see the side panel under the arch).

Anything on a mini is repairable with a bit of time, money and willingness to do it! So even if this one isn't for you it wouldn't take much effort to make one look like this.

Great advice, thank you.

#4 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:40 PM

It was a Mini Sprite, going by my research. I emailed the company and got this response:

Hi,
The 1995 Classic Mini 1330cc is still for sale at £4,400. This car is in great condition, 2 keys, 87,667 miles. Manual transmission. MOT Status Expires: 24 October 2023 .The car is located at our warehouse from Glasgow , ready to be transported. We acquired this vehicle from an auction, this is why the lower price.
Since we are dealing mainly with transportation, please note that we don't schedule inspections/pick up at/from our location, but we sell the vehicle with a 5 days money back guarantee.

For a transport cost, reply with your postcode or full address.

Shannon Collins
Senior Sales Executive

#5 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:49 PM

That's clearly a scam, are you mental? 

#6 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:52 PM

That's clearly a scam, are you mental? 

Having thought about this a lot more, yes, I think I was being mental. I am so keen to get my first mini and this fitted the bill perfectly so I was a little blinkered. I emailed back and was advised I can't view the vehicle before committing, so I told them that I wouldn't be taking it any further.

#7 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:53 PM

Here's the same car for sale 10 miles from me https://www.facebook...7283126500458/ 

#8 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:54 PM

And here it is in Stoke on Trent https://www.facebook...3545163744144/ 

#9 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:56 PM

Anyone selling 50 cars all 20% of the retail price is a scammer, they just want deposits to hold and never to be seen again, shame FB lets them get away with it. Report it as a scam, if everyone does it at least FB might shut some of their accounts.

#10 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:02 PM

Anyone selling 50 cars all 20% of the retail price is a scammer, they just want deposits to hold and never to be seen again, shame FB lets them get away with it. Report it as a scam, if everyone does it at least FB might shut some of their accounts.

Good shout, I have reported it as a scam.

#11 purple_fly06

purple_fly06

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Foresters

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:04 PM

I was dubious when i saw your link but assumed you'd already sorted a viewing etc. But its100% a scam if that's their response. If they wont let you inspect then stay well clear.

"If its too good to be true then it probably is" applies.

Still, My and others advice still applies on your hunt, good luck!

#12 soutermcgavin

soutermcgavin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:33 PM

Thanks all.

#13 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 05:48 AM

I’ve reported this sort of scam to FB numerous times and have often had a response that the advert doesn’t break FB rules so they will not be taking any action. Thankfully ebay are better at trying to remove scammers from their platform.

#14 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 05:52 AM

Also any car with one month MOT is a red flag. As most folk know someone who’d like to make a few quid and do some repairs and slap a new MOT on it.

Yes likely a scam with stolen photos. Never pay a deposit in advance.

#15 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 15 September 2023 - 08:24 AM

The definite scams on Facebook are the ones which have a list under the description of engine size, number of doors, colour etc. They answer to you and say call a number. I've clicked on them as scams many times. They pop up again

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users