Photo

The Luton Airport Fire - Diesel Or A Hybrid? You Decide....

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 05:51 PM

I used to play around with RC helis, the batteries had to be put in a fire resistant bag when charging.

Makes you think every time you plug the old mobile in for a charge 😬

#17 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:51 PM

Jaguar iPace BURNS whilst charging at the gym:-

Pqsuop6.jpg

MV69 GXE
✓ Taxed Vehicle MV69GXE is Taxed
Tax due: 1 November 2024
✓ MOT Vehicle MV69GXE has a valid MOT certificate Expires: 12 November 2023
Vehicle make JAGUAR
Date of first registration November 2019
Year of manufacture 2019
Cylinder capacity 0 cc
CO₂ emissions 0 g/km
Fuel type ELECTRICITY
Vehicle colour BLACK

kRDAk2hl.jpg
BMW EV in tank....
Mick Gould Commercials Ltd
"This is an example of the way in which Ev’s are managed following a fire. There are several different companies producing them, some in the uk. There are some serious issues even if you can get hold of one of these. The water is contaminated with some nasties and is difficult to dispose of, you have to get the bath to the vehicle before it has done excessive damage etc, you have to load it whilst it is still in a dangerous state, the bath can only take a car and so commercials are still without an emergency option, the cost is very high for both equipment and disposal, the vehicle is a total loss after being dunked and so the list goes on. We will not allow storage of ev or hybrids in the compound following recovery from an accident. They are pushed out onto some waste ground where they cannot cause damage to their surroundings."
Burnt EVs UK:-
https://www.facebook...333275880189834

#18 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 19 October 2023 - 09:53 AM

Don't you just love the human mind ... a Range Rover catches fire and causes damage to a car park, but EVs and lithium batteries are apparently the problem. Absolutely nothing to do with diesel particulate filters and the standard method of running extremely hot to burn off the particles (I made that bit up but it might have been a factor).

Clearly it's usually a good idea to leave accident investigation to .... accident investigators.

yes the fire may well have been caused by the dpf as it was a diesel and the car appears to have been  driven at the time looking at it's location in the video, so who knows may have been in regen cycle when entering the car park but the issue with lithium batteries is they will create a fire that is not possible to put out is they created it initially or not

#19 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 10:00 AM

The video of the fire doesn’t look like diesel is burning to me. Chuck diesel on a bonfire and it results in thick black smoke, the colour of the flames in the Luton fire video resembles a battery fire.

#20 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 10:30 AM

The video of the fire doesn’t look like diesel is burning to me. Chuck diesel on a bonfire and it results in thick black smoke, the colour of the flames in the Luton fire video resembles a battery fire.

Nobody suggested batteries weren't burning, but the reports on the incident suggest it started from an ICE vehicle not an EV.

#21 Deeppockets

Deeppockets

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 10:31 AM

Here's a recent paper from the Faraday Institute on lithium battery safety:

https://www.faraday....y2023_FINAL.pdf

The IET has also had a discussion thread on the subject:

https://engx.theiet....m-ion-batteries

Edited by Deeppockets, 19 October 2023 - 10:40 AM.

#22 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 10:32 AM

Jaguar iPace BURNS whilst charging at the gym:-

Pqsuop6.jpg

MV69 GXE
✓ Taxed Vehicle MV69GXE is Taxed
Tax due: 1 November 2024
✓ MOT Vehicle MV69GXE has a valid MOT certificate Expires: 12 November 2023
Vehicle make JAGUAR
Date of first registration November 2019
Year of manufacture 2019
Cylinder capacity 0 cc
CO₂ emissions 0 g/km
Fuel type ELECTRICITY
Vehicle colour BLACK

kRDAk2hl.jpg
BMW EV in tank....
Mick Gould Commercials Ltd
"This is an example of the way in which Ev’s are managed following a fire. There are several different companies producing them, some in the uk. There are some serious issues even if you can get hold of one of these. The water is contaminated with some nasties and is difficult to dispose of, you have to get the bath to the vehicle before it has done excessive damage etc, you have to load it whilst it is still in a dangerous state, the bath can only take a car and so commercials are still without an emergency option, the cost is very high for both equipment and disposal, the vehicle is a total loss after being dunked and so the list goes on. We will not allow storage of ev or hybrids in the compound following recovery from an accident. They are pushed out onto some waste ground where they cannot cause damage to their surroundings."
Burnt EVs UK:-
https://www.facebook...333275880189834

That happened just down the road from us this week in Newton-le-Willows, I'll keep an eye out for any more info locally. I assume it was a public charge point so lots of potential variables involved.

#23 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 12:26 PM

Nobody suggested batteries weren't burning, but the reports on the incident suggest it started from an ICE vehicle not an EV.

Yes, an ICE with hybrid.

#24 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 October 2023 - 07:18 PM

I thought I would do a bit of digging regarding cars catching fire in general, after searching the net I found a report from Bedfordshire FB which said in 2019 they attended a total of around 1900 car fires of which 55 were EV. Now this doesn't sound too bad until you calculate it into units sold of each type, after a quick punch on the old buttons, it turns out that EV's are and to put it in tabloid terms " DEATH TRAP EV'S 100% MORE LIABLE TO BURN TO A CRISP"

On serious note though, it is quite worrying that governments don't seem to care about this problem, be it ICE or EV, the fact that cars can and do fly on fire isn't great, I know car fires have always happened but these lithium fires seem brutal.

Shooter

#25 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2023 - 07:31 PM

Even more worrying, it’s often the newer models that catch fire!

#26 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 October 2023 - 09:44 PM

I work in an office building above a basement car park where the company have recently been installing chargers and encouraging employees to go 'green' with EV's and replacing company pool cars with EV's....after recent news of Lithium battery fires and the lack of sprinklers in the Luton car park fire, the company have now decided to review whether it is safe for the office workforce to be sitting above what could be a potential fire hazard of Lithuim batteries which is much more intense and harder to extinguish than a ICE petrol/diesel car fire.....

Edited by mab01uk, 20 October 2023 - 09:46 PM.

#27 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 09:33 AM

Even more worrying, it’s often the newer models that catch fire!

That's a good point, there seemed to be a sweet point in time when cars were just bang reliable, now all makes and models have there faults obviously some worse than others. I'm sure the manufacturers will get the fire problem sorted out, personally I'll keep on destroying the planet 1 gallon at a time until I can be sure that I won't come back to a smoldering wreck after a bit of shopping.

Shooter

#28 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 09:40 AM

It's lucky that most EV manufacturers are moving away from lithium batteries. I'm purchasing the byd dolphin which has the blade battery.

#29 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,901 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:37 AM

Lithium battery issues have been ongoing.

For us Aviation Types, this was highlighted when a Ethiopian Air B787 suffered very expensive fire damage when a cell in a Lithium-Ion Battery short circuited causing a very expensive fire.

The result of this was Boeing grounding the 787 fleet until they came up with a suitable fix. Namely the main Aircraft batteries are encapsualted in a stainless steel box. So if thermal runaway occurs the damage is isolated to the box. This bloody thing has somewhere around 60 10//32 bolts (it maybe 1/4) which makes changing a battery a massive chore.

Now for a pure EV car this would be unrealistic to do. The extra weight plus the expense would just be pointless to a manufactuer. However for a Hybrid??

#30 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 03:36 PM

Lithium battery issues have been ongoing.

For us Aviation Types, this was highlighted when a Ethiopian Air B787 suffered very expensive fire damage when a cell in a Lithium-Ion Battery short circuited causing a very expensive fire.

The result of this was Boeing grounding the 787 fleet until they came up with a suitable fix. Namely the main Aircraft batteries are encapsualted in a stainless steel box. So if thermal runaway occurs the damage is isolated to the box. This bloody thing has somewhere around 60 10//32 bolts (it maybe 1/4) which makes changing a battery a massive chore.

Now for a pure EV car this would be unrealistic to do. The extra weight plus the expense would just be pointless to a manufactuer. However for a Hybrid??

Am I right in thinking an Airbus plane had a similar problem? I shoot with a guy who was part of the design team and I'm sure he said that they were suffering from some sort of overheating on the ground.

Shooter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users