Photo

Multi-Colour Cooper Which Isn’T Multi-Colour?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 s2ulk

s2ulk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 09:38 PM

Hi all, I recently acquired a 1999 Cooper sports pack. It’s Anthracite and the logbook states that it’s multi-colour. I know that this colour designation is for Coopers that have a different coloured roof and I think they normally have bonnet stripes to match the roof colour.

But my Cooper has an anthracite coloured roof and no bonnet stripes. So it’s not actually multi-colour. Does anybody know whether it was possible to spec a sports pack Cooper in a solid colour all around or, due to the logbook entry, is it more likely that it had a different coloured roof when registered which was then resprayed to match the rest of the car?

#2 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 10:53 PM

What is the colour code on the chassis (VIN) plate? Minis of that era had 3 letter codes for single colours and also the combination colours.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 05 November 2023 - 09:39 AM

All late coopers were multi colour as the VIN plates colour code translates to 2 colours - the body colour and the roof's.

#4 Finchman

Finchman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:08 PM

My 99 sportspack is anthracite with a anthracite roof,the log book states the colour is grey.

#5 s2ulk

s2ulk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 01:34 PM

Is yours the dark blue anthracite (which mine is) or a dark grey? And does your logbook state that your mini is a Cooper? Sounds like your car is very similar to mine, especially if it is also missing the bonnet stripes and cooper stripe / decals down the side

Edited by s2ulk, 13 November 2023 - 01:45 PM.

#6 s2ulk

s2ulk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 05:30 PM

I found the paint code on the VIN plate which is ‘RIE’ (mix of anthracite and white diamond II). So I suspect the roof was painted at a later point to match. Can’t see why they would stamp the VIN with that mix code if it was ordered as full anthracite

#7 Finchman

Finchman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 04:52 PM

Yes,mine is dark blue anthracite with factory webaso sunroof and the bonnet stripes. No mention of cooper on the v5,so presumably it's a Mini Sportspack.

Edited by Finchman, 14 November 2023 - 04:53 PM.

#8 s2ulk

s2ulk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 07:08 PM

Mine also has a factory webasto roof. Is yours an S reg by any chance registered in Feb 1999? Wonder if it came from the same dealer in Kensington. Sounds like you have a Mini 1.3 with sportspack added - a rare beast as the Cooper and Mini 1.3 were the same price so I think most people going for the sportspack would also choose a copper. But to be sure, you can tell if yours is a cooper by whether there are three dials in the middle of the dash. The Mini 1.3 has only one.

#9 Finchman

Finchman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 10:38 PM

Mine is Sept 99 on a V reg....its also got the three clock dash.it came from Central Garages in Torquay.

#10 hennasxi

hennasxi

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 November 2023 - 11:31 AM

Yes your VIN plate paint code suggests its been painted since - not that uncommon, some of the Cooper MPis bought by John Cooper garages were sold in one colour, but again they were painted by them and did not leave factory like that.   Can't rule out the odd one leaving Longbridge like that though, its MG Rover after all.    All the single colour cars tend to be a 'Mini' by VIN rather than Cooper trim (SAXXNW rather than SAXXNN).

Edited by hennasxi, 19 November 2023 - 11:32 AM.

#11 s2ulk

s2ulk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 10:31 PM

My log book says it’s a cooper and the VIN starts with SAXXNN. The colour match of the roof is perfect so maybe it was a Longbridge oddity

#12 Finchman

Finchman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 06:03 PM

My 99 sportspack is anthracite with a anthracite roof,the log book states the colour is grey.

Edited by Finchman, 15 April 2024 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users