#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 November 2023 - 08:04 PM

"The Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will end its contract with the Post Office Ltd in March 2024. From the end of March 2024, people wanting to access any DVLA services will be forced to go online. Post Offices currently provide a "limited range" of services for the DVLA and the current contract was agreed to 31 March 2024, a spokesperson for the agency said."
https://www.bbc.co.u...cester-66133191

If you have any Minis that qualify for the rolling 40 year 'Historic' tax class (currently up to 1982) but whose V5c/Log book has not yet been updated from PLG (Private/Light Goods) tax class, it is probably worth taking the documents to the nearest PO that deals with car tax before the the end of March 2024 (assuming the DVLA/PO contract is not renewed). For cars over 40 years old you don't need an MOT or insurance document (except in Northern Ireland) so even vehicles not currently on the road or undergoing restoration can apply for the change to 'Historic.'
https://www.gov.uk/h...e-tax-exemption

Basically the PO counter person scans the barcode on your V5 (signed, dated and 'Historic' entered in changes section), checks your MOT exemption V112 form, gives you a printed receipt with reg number and taxed for £0.00 from 1st of the month and sends off the V5 to the DVLA for you. A few days later the Car Tax website should show your vehicle as now taxed. A few weeks later you should get a new V5c in the post with Historic as tax class. A few weeks later you may get another letter saying your vehicle is showing as taxed but not insured on the Insurance Database at which point you must either insure the vehicle or declare it online as SORN (off-road).
There have been reports that changing any other details on the V5 at the same time, especially keepers address can complicate things and even result in a vehicle inspection being required.....so as always with the DVLA keep it simple and do one change at a time!

Beware also a change of government at the next election could result in changes to 'Historic' tax exemption going forward....as happened in the first budget of Gordon Brown's with the previous Labour government, when it was changed from a rolling date to being frozen /fixed at 25 years, until the return of the Tories to government. Labour politicians have never seemed to be that keen on preserving classic cars or older cars in general....

Edited by mab01uk, 08 November 2023 - 08:08 PM.

#2 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 02:03 PM

The car needs to be insured because you are effectively taxing it at the point of changing it to an historic vehicle.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 05:41 PM

The car needs to be insured because you are effectively taxing it at the point of changing it to an historic vehicle.

Yes but you don't need to show an insurance certificate at PO (except Northern Ireland) and can SORN the vehicle immediately on receiving the new V5 (or wait for the follow up letter reminding to SORN or insure).....obviously in the meantime you should not use the vehicle during the process of the change to 'Historic' unless insured.

Edited by mab01uk, 11 November 2023 - 05:46 PM.

#4 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 06:02 PM

Yes but you don't need to show an insurance certificate at PO (except Northern Ireland) and can SORN the vehicle immediately on receiving the new V5 (or wait for the follow up letter reminding to SORN or insure).....obviously in the meantime you should not use the vehicle during the process of the change to 'Historic' unless insured.

I'll give it another go, when I went in the local post office I asked if it would need to be insured and they said yes, so I'll just present the V5C and V112 and see what happens.

Edited by Artstu, 11 November 2023 - 06:03 PM.

#5 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 08:19 PM

Petition The DVLA has announced its plan to withdraw Road Tax services from Post Offices. This decision will have a devastating impact on our local post offices, which are already struggling to survive. We cannot let this happen!

https://www.change.o...ces?signed=true

#6 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 09:30 AM

Thank you, I've just been to the PO and it was accepted without insurance.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 08:21 PM

Most Post Offices rarely do the 'Historic' V5 change so few seem to know how to do it without looking things up or in larger post offices asking a supervisor....especially when they are taxing your car with no payment due!

Glad you got it done ok in the end. As said when you get your new V5 back in the post declare SORN online or wait for a letter soon after asking you to SORN or take out insurance.

#8 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 26 November 2023 - 07:09 PM

Did this yesterday at my local Post Office, pleased to say no issues only question she asked me was 'is the car SORNED at present' which it is. I also filled in a V10 form as well though she told me this was not necessary. 

Edited by Stu1961, 26 November 2023 - 07:23 PM.

#9 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 07:14 PM

Did this yesterday at my local Post Office, pleased to say no issues only question she asked me was 'is the car SORNED at present' which it is.

Mine predates the introduction of SORN. Hopefully I can SORN it when the V5C comes.

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 09:34 PM

Did this yesterday at my local Post Office, pleased to say no issues only question she asked me was 'is the car SORNED at present' which it is. I also filled in a V10 form as well though she told me this was not necessary. 

Yes it seems they no longer require the V10 form....it even says on the bottom of the latest forms the PO will just hand it back to you and send all the info to DVLA electronically.

Edited by mab01uk, 26 November 2023 - 09:34 PM.

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 09:36 PM

Did this yesterday at my local Post Office, pleased to say no issues only question she asked me was 'is the car SORNED at present' which it is.

Mine predates the introduction of SORN. Hopefully I can SORN it when the V5C comes.

Yes, I SORNed mine online for first time after receiving the new Historic V5c in post with no problems.

Edited by mab01uk, 26 November 2023 - 09:37 PM.

#12 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 27 November 2023 - 05:04 PM

Yes it seems they no longer require the V10 form....it even says on the bottom of the latest forms the PO will just hand it back to you and send all the info to DVLA electronically.

Yes they handed back the V112 as well.

#13 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 05:14 PM

Yes they handed back the V112 as well.

Me too, that's standard fair I understand. I've got my V5C back now and have SORN'd it, hopefully it will show as SORN'd when the system is up to speed.

#14 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 12:54 PM

Post Office signs new contract with DVLA - message from Deputy CEO to Postmasters

Message from Owen Woodley, Deputy CEO at Post Office, to Postmasters announcing that Post Office has signed a new contract with DVLA:

"I am pleased to announce that following intensive negotiations with DVLA, Post Office has now agreed and signed a new contract that allows Vehicle Tax and Ten-Year Renewal products to be sold in Post Offices until 31 March 2025.

Although the contract is for an initial term of 1 year from 31 March 2024 until 31 March 2025, we will meet with DVLA each year to discuss extending the contract which can run for a maximum of 3 years, until 31 March 2027.

We made a commitment to keep you, our Postmasters, updated in a timely and transparent way. As Post Office is bound by confidentiality restrictions in our contracts with Government, despite a prolonged period of negotiations, we have been unable to share this fantastic news with you before now.

The negotiations haven’t been easy. Our aim throughout has been to ensure that Postmasters receive fair remuneration for DVLA transactions and that Post Office’s associated costs for providing the services are covered. I’m pleased to let you know that we have been able to achieve this.

We had already extended our contract with DVLA earlier this year which resulted in improved remuneration for our Postmasters. This deal means that we will maintain this level of remuneration for Vehicle Tax and Ten Year Renewal transactions.

To ensure you are kept informed with the ongoing contract with DVLA, we commit to letting you know, in October each year, if extension periods are agreed. This will give you at least 6 months’ notice of any extensions, or indeed if there is any risk of this contract exiting.

We recognise that this has been an extremely unsettling time and we want to thank you for everything you and the NFSP have done to highlight how important our Government Services products are to our customers, and the fantastic job you do in serving them.

The vital role that Post Office plays in providing in-person DVLA services in our branches has been a key element of these negotiations and we look forward to continue providing these services which are so important to you and our customers."

https://corporate.po...-to-postmasters

DVLA and PO sign contract extension:-

https://nfsp.org.uk/...tract-extension

Edited by mab01uk, 14 March 2024 - 01:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users