Photo
- - - - -

1275 A+ Block To Gearbox Dowels? & Cam Bearings

Best Answer lsto , 11 November 2023 - 08:10 PM

AC dodd has a good video on fitting cam bearings on YouTube. He shows what way they should be fitted, well worth a look. I just used a bearing drift when I fitted mine, they went in fine.
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve66

Steve66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 02:03 PM

Hi all,

I am in the middle of an engine rebuild and I have just got my rebored block back from the engine machine shop.

Does anyone have a photo of the dowel(s) that fit between the block and gearbox. 

My block has comeback with just one? Is this correct?  see attached

Also does anyone have details of the correct fitting of the cam bearings.  Orientation etc

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 11 November 2023 - 02:38 PM

There should definitely be two dowels, but to get on with your rebuild, mark the exposed end and move the remaining dowel from the timing chain end of your block to the flywheel end.

Only lightly do up four screws through the four corners of the gearbox, into the block.

Fit the aluminium transfer casing and nip the nuts.  This should pull the gearbox into place under the block.

Check that the empty dowel hole in the gearbox is concentric with the dowel hole in the block.

If it is, insert the remaining gearbox / block screws and torque them all.

If the empty dowel holes are not aligned, wait until you have retrieved your missing dowel from the machine shop.

Observation and common sense should enable you to line up orifice in the cam bearings with the oil-ways in the block.

Edited by DeadSquare, 11 November 2023 - 02:51 PM.

#3 Steve66

Steve66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 05:31 PM

There should definitely be two dowels, but to get on with your rebuild, mark the exposed end and move the remaining dowel from the timing chain end of your block to the flywheel end.

Only lightly do up four screws through the four corners of the gearbox, into the block.

Fit the aluminium transfer casing and nip the nuts.  This should pull the gearbox into place under the block.

Check that the empty dowel hole in the gearbox is concentric with the dowel hole in the block.

If it is, insert the remaining gearbox / block screws and torque them all.

If the empty dowel holes are not aligned, wait until you have retrieved your missing dowel from the machine shop.

Observation and common sense should enable you to line up orifice in the cam bearings with the oil-ways in the block.

Thanks for the advice and confirmation that there should be two dowel

regarding your comment “Observation and common sense should enable you to line up orifice in the cam bearings with the oil-ways in the block.”   I agree common sense can be used for the oil ways but that doesn’t tell at what rotation the grove should be fitted 

#4 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 08:10 PM   Best Answer

AC dodd has a good video on fitting cam bearings on YouTube. He shows what way they should be fitted, well worth a look. I just used a bearing drift when I fitted mine, they went in fine.

Edited by lsto, 11 November 2023 - 08:12 PM.

#5 Steve66

Steve66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:28 AM

Many thanks this is just what I was after.

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:40 AM

As said, there should be 2 dowels, both of the same dimensions but one has a hole through the middle.
A bolt fits through that hole and has a special stepped washer.

#7 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 09:26 AM

I noticed that you said that the block came back with just one dowel, if it went with both dowels in why don't you phone the machine shop up and ask them where the other one is? If it went with one and you've lost or never had the other one try phoning guessworks, he turns new ones up.

Shooter

#8 Steve66

Steve66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:27 AM

Dowel found!  
thanks for all the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users