#1 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 01:12 PM

Opinions requested please on recurring noise on my daily Mk2 Skoda Octavia

After ~30 mins of motorway speeds i get a high pitched constant squeal/screech from the offside front wheel area. 

Its not brought on by braking but does disappear if i tap the brakes.

It does not change if i depress the clutch pedal.

No noise at low speed

My initial thought was wheel bearing but jacked up and checked for play by rocking front wheel - none is evident. Also this is very different from the bearing noises on youtube videos which are grumbles/growls.

So now I'm thinking brakes but this is very different from brake squeal I've had before which has been when the brake pedal is depressed and not constant when not braking.

Any opinions or experiences from the wider audience please? Thinking brakes sticking on? slide pins?  Crud stuck in the pads? 

Anything else I should look for please? Full time job plus two young kids means I'm very short on time to investigate    O_O

Thank you all in advance 

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 01:22 PM

sounds like you're on the right track really, I'd probably start by disassembling, cleaning all bits and adding a couple of blobs of copperslip to the right places, reassembling

checking parts as you go for any signs of wear in unexpected places / looseness / things being out of alignment of rubbing where they shouldnt

sort of thing you don't really want to leave too long really just in case although I feel your pain re: work and kids 

Edited by stuart bowes, 14 November 2023 - 01:23 PM.

#3 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 02:39 PM

Thank you, yes I won't leave it long, if there were other things I should be looking at prior to the weekend I will add them to the list  :thumbsup:

#4 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 15 November 2023 - 01:58 AM

Sounds like it is telling you to drive a mini. ;-)

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 15 November 2023 - 08:33 AM

Thing you need to check the pistons condition. Get busy with the wire brush and clean everything out..

Personally I would push piston in and out a few times (making sure it does not pop the seal). Do that a few times and make sure it releases off properly.

May just stick alittle causing your issues.

Copper split the right bits is a good idea also..

May also,take the disc off and make sure no little stones got in the back causing issues.. check everything and compare it to the other side if in doubt..

#6 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the replies, I wish the mini was in a fit state to be driven  :lol:

I hadn't thought about the piston so thanks for the suggestion, will look there also.  

#7 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 05:37 PM

Well everything stripped down, cleaned and lubed where appropriate and nothing serious was found. There was a slight groove in the rear of the disk like something had been stuck in or on the pad. Piston and slides all moved easily.

Thanks for the moral support anyways, we'll see how it goes on the commute on Monday

#8 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 20 November 2023 - 12:09 AM

How long/miles have you had the noise ? I would strip the hub out and check the bearing even if there is no play when you try rocking the wheel, the bearing might have started to run dry and will need replacing before failing, just a thought,

Allan

Edited by Aly-g, 20 November 2023 - 12:10 AM.

#9 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:14 PM

Thank you, the noise is still there this morning so bearing is my next focus. Had the noise a couple of weeks but only use the car a couple of times a week

#10 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 12:54 PM

Well this turned into a saga. Over Christmas I had it in bits again.

- new caliper slide pins

- new pads as i'd noticed that the strips of thin sheet metal that they sat on were rusting away (despite being plenty of meat left on the pads themselves)

- chopped a bit off the rusty brake dust cover that *might* have been flapping around at speed

- pulled the axle out of the bearing to check bearing operation. seems ok. new bolt inserted on rebuild.

Still making the noise.   damn.

So yesterday, determined not to be beaten... 

- new brake dust cover

- new wheel bearing

- new caliper

- another new axle bolt 

Pretty soon it'll be a new car   :lol:   

Lets see how it gets on during the commute tomorrow.  Only things left now are the brake hose (I've heard they can collapse internally leading to brakes sticking on?) and the disc though this is new-ish and is in decent condition and straight. 

Oh the joys!   :wacko:

#11 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 11 January 2024 - 12:58 AM

Just a word of a warning that noises can transmit along shafts etc so the problem may not be where you think it is. It is worth time spent diagnosing where the noise actually comes from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users