#1 Clubman_Jake

Clubman_Jake

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:21 PM

Hi All,

I'm going to be sending 1974 Clubman shell of for blasting soon - and I'm starting to look in to the different options I have for panels.

It is pretty obvious (without blasting) that the floor is going to need some work - both footwells are patchwork quilts, and the floors underneath the rear bench and near the sills are also pretty poor.

The central tunnel actually looks to be ok, and so does the crossmember - although I can't be 100% sure until the shell has been blasted.

Ideally I want the floorplan to be correct for a 1974 car, and I'm trying to buy as many genuine heritage panels as possible. I also want the finish of the car to be as good as possible - so I'm slightly worried about having to weld in patches/half floors, and having a visible seam left afterwards even after grinding back (I don't think there will be carpets in the car once finished - the bare floor will be on show).

My main problem is that I can only see an MPI spec heritage floor pan/half floor pans, which I understand would fit my car, but wouldn't be the correct year.

I have found some non-heritage half floors, but does anyone know where I can get a full 1974 correct floor pan? or has anyone else overcome the same problem?

Any extra recommendations would also be welcomed, I've never replaced a floor before - Is it worth getting a whole floor? Or would two half's/multiple patches be better?

Just to note - if the whole MPI spec floor really does make it that much easier, I can sacrifice some originality, but the more original the better!

Thanks for any help! :D

Jake

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:36 PM

I assume your 1974 Mini has the later rod change 'square' tunnel which covered the later 1973 onwards Mk3 into the Mk4 production run.

Try M-Machine, you can download their full panel catalogue here:-

http://preview.m-machine.co.uk/

WOHWHhk.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 19 November 2023 - 07:42 PM.

#3 Clubman_Jake

Clubman_Jake

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:26 PM

I assume your 1974 Mini has the later rod change 'square' tunnel which covered the later 1973 onwards Mk3 into the Mk4 production run.

Try M-Machine, you can download their full panel catalogue here:-

http://preview.m-machine.co.uk/

WOHWHhk.jpg

Yes you’re correct - and thanks for the help!

I did see this panel in M-Machines catalogue, but I was unsure if they were also to MPI spec - do you (or anyone else) have a photo of the assembly? I assume inner/outer sills, cross member, heel board, etc are included?

thanks again for the help,

Jake

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:35 PM

Hi Jake, Mini-Machine (M-Machine) usually do the panels closest to the correct period specification..... but if you phone them and ask to speak to Doreen, she is both very helpful and has detailed knowledge on the spec, quality and source of all the many panels they sell and produce for Minis. They are an 'old school' type company and always busy so best to phone usually but as said make sure you speak to Doreen. Hope this helps.

Although the line diagram in catalogue shows a Mk1 floor assembly (11-33-00-00) it is similar to what panels you get in all the various floor assembles from M-Machine.(eg. inner/outer sills, cross member, floor, centre tunnel, rear heel board).

vwWXaFz.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 19 November 2023 - 08:45 PM.

#5 Clubman_Jake

Clubman_Jake

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:52 PM

Hi Jake, Mini-Machine (M-Machine) usually do the panels closest to the correct period specification..... but if you phone them and ask to speak to Doreen, she is both very helpful and has detailed knowledge on the spec, quality and source of all the many panels they sell and produce for Minis. They are an 'old school' type company and always busy so best to phone usually but as said make sure you speak to Doreen. Hope this helps.

Although the line diagram in catalogue shows a Mk1 floor assembly (11-33-00-00) it is similar to what panels you get in all the various floor assembles from M-Machine.(eg. inner/outer sills, cross member, floor, centre tunnel, rear heel board).

vwWXaFz.jpg

Perfect! Thanks for that - that seems to be exactly what I’m looking for as my sills/heel board will all need replacing too. 

it looks like I’ll be giving them a call once my shell is blasted, and I’ll be sure to ask for Doreen as it sounds like she knows her stuff!

thanks again for your help,

Jake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users