11 replies to this topic

#1 minicooperr

minicooperr

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:02 PM

Hi all, I have had my mini on the road now for 3 or 4 years, its got a 1275cc with a hif44 carb on with a ram air filter and a twin box rc40 (cheap one) which was my last attempt at making it quiet.... but its still too loud, I dont think it is the exhaust noise, as outside the car it is fine but induction noise. 

I have been in plenty of minis and it just seems to be mine that is mind numbingly loud, I know its never going to be as refined as a modern car and I do want some noise as thats what makes them fun but mine is just too loud currently. 

So with it being winter I want to try and do some improvements, is there somebody that can give me some hints to getting it quieter, I have already got dynamat in some place and thinking I am going to do more on all panels and get a good thick carpet and underlay 

#2 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:11 PM

When you say ram air filter, is that an open filter or an element replacement? If it’s the former, the best thing to dampen induction noise is to put an air box back on.

#3 minicooperr

minicooperr

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:22 PM

When you say ram air filter, is that an open filter or an element replacement? If it’s the former, the best thing to dampen induction noise is to put an air box back on.

Yeah its an open one yeah, ah okay so I should look out for an air box, do they sell reproduction ones, it would be good to get one with a pipe to scoop air from behind the grill, is that a thing? 

#4 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 30 November 2023 - 11:15 PM

Fitting a factory air filter housing and a paper filter will reduce the induction roar and you will not notice any difference in performance despite all the revheads who say otherwise.
I did exactly this approx 3 years ago. You may need to use a different needle and you will definately need to tweek the timing and mixture for the new air intake setup but it is worth the effort.
It really is win win. No roar, no dusted engine, better filtering and no noticeable loss in performance.

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:43 AM

Do you have the bulkhead insulation foam. That was usually quiepte good..

Or fit a new louder stereo....

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 01 December 2023 - 11:10 AM

Fit a standard air filter housing with a KnN air filter and drill the air filter housing as needed

#7 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:21 PM

i agree with the above, having had a Mini with twin 1 1/2 inch SUs with stub stacks and K&Ns it can be deafening under acceleration. Get a standard air box and a K&N filter element and that will make it more civilised

#8 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 02 December 2023 - 01:15 AM

Don't bother wasting your money on a k&n just fit a paper element so it filters properly.

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:53 AM

i agree with the above, having had a Mini with twin 1 1/2 inch SUs with stub stacks and K&Ns it can be deafening under acceleration. Get a standard air box and a K&N filter element and that will make it more civilised

This is the right answer. The air box will reduce the noise significantly. The K&N is a great filter family, just remember to service them (clean and re-oil) biennually.

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:35 AM

Don't bother wasting your money on a k&n just fit a paper element so it filters properly.

KnN filter element so the needles won't need changed 🤔

#11 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:34 PM

Fit a standard air filter housing with a KnN air filter and drill the air filter housing as needed

Yup this seems to be what all the pro's are advising, when I took my Mrs mini to a recent AC Dodd tuning day, he turned the case into a bit of Swiss cheese, seems to go well now though.

Shooter

#12 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 04 December 2023 - 01:07 PM

did this on gf's mini to go to imm in austria air box drilled with k&n element. no need to change carb settings and did all trip without missing a beat and no droning at 3k revs. just doesn't look as good under the bonnet.

the sound proofing kit from minispares does reduce some road noise just remember to lift floor mats if not using for a long time to prevent damp

Edited by coopertaz, 04 December 2023 - 01:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users