On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:56 PM

can anyone advise me please

i am trying to recover  an old registration number  i once had  on a 1961 mini

i think that it may well have been scrapped by now but i have enquired  with numerous  reg number sellers  about the number but i just  dont get any answers 

does this mean that the number is no longer available or alternatively if the car was scrapped that the number was not retained by d vl a 

the number was 15 gye

thanks in advance for any help

andrew davies

#2 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 03:24 PM

Not showing as being on a vehicle at the dvla.
It could be on retention I guess

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,845 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:43 PM

If scrapped the DVLA will have the number if it has not been re-issued. You can ask the DVLA below if it is available and for how much:-

DVLA - Checking the availability of a personalised registration number not found on the website.

We can’t sell a registration number that has already been issued to a vehicle or sold in the past.

Dateless style registrations are mainly sold at DVLA Auctions.

https://contact.dvla...ation?locale=en

DVLA Website - Find your Personalised Registration:-

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

Edited by mab01uk, 01 December 2023 - 07:45 PM.

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:49 PM

im guessing it would be on their site if it was available ?  but doesn't hurt to ring and ask

https://dvlaregistra...&super_priceto=

Edited by stuart bowes, 01 December 2023 - 07:50 PM.

#5 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:18 PM

I've done this, you have to email them asking if the reg number is available, they will come back with a yey or nay, if its available they will put it in one of their online auctions and let the fun begin, but be warned a two three will go for serious cash, and work out for the fees as they soon add up. It normally takes around 9 months to be included, and if you go ahead with it make sure you ask for it to go in an online auction not one of the venue based jobs unless you have the spare time.

Shooter

#6 mrosad

mrosad

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:09 AM

thanks for the info

i have sent an e mail to d v l a  and waiting for a  reply

andy

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 14 December 2023 - 11:55 AM

I've done this, you have to email them asking if the reg number is available, they will come back with a yey or nay, if its available they will put it in one of their online auctions and let the fun begin, but be warned a two three will go for serious cash, and work out for the fees as they soon add up. It normally takes around 9 months to be included, and if you go ahead with it make sure you ask for it to go in an online auction not one of the venue based jobs unless you have the spare time.

Shooter

Same here. It was my dad's old 1968 Cooper S registration that I wanted to put on Felix. Ended up going to auction and selling for £8k to a randomer. I'm still gutted. 

#8 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 12:06 PM

I read somewhere when I was looking at getting a plate that once you have a valuable reg on your car (assuming you do manage to win the auction or find a cheaper one you like) then it's good practice to get a letter of no interest from your insurance company to confirm they won't take it in the event of a write off

otherwise what can happen is, if they have to take a smashed up car away, they then own it all and you lose the plate

with the confirmation letter you can get them to put it back on retention (or whatever the process is) so you can take it back again and re-register to something else

the whole thing just sounded like a load of hassle in the end, and having to keep going to the post office and mess about with forms all the time, I couldn't be bothered

just remember it fondly (like our first landrover SSW 915T) and move on 

Edited by stuart bowes, 14 December 2023 - 12:07 PM.

#9 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 07:48 PM

I read somewhere when I was looking at getting a plate that once you have a valuable reg on your car (assuming you do manage to win the auction or find a cheaper one you like) then it's good practice to get a letter of no interest from your insurance company to confirm they won't take it in the event of a write off

otherwise what can happen is, if they have to take a smashed up car away, they then own it all and you lose the plate

with the confirmation letter you can get them to put it back on retention (or whatever the process is) so you can take it back again and re-register to something else

the whole thing just sounded like a load of hassle in the end, and having to keep going to the post office and mess about with forms all the time, I couldn't be bothered

just remember it fondly (like our first landrover SSW 915T) and move on

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought of that, I'll get in touch with my insurance company, my plate isn't a personal one it's mini specific so I don't want to loose that bad boy.

Shooter

#10 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 08:39 PM

this wasn't the place I saw the info but it's basically the same thing 

https://www.carreg.c...d-number-plate/

reading again I'm not sure if it's something you have to do now as a preventative measure or just something to be aware of and do straight away in the event of theft / accident 

either way worth knowing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users