#1 Joepotato99

Joepotato99

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

New to the forum and would please appreciate some knowledge and advice on choosing my first Mini..

The car will be used quite often by the family, so a bit of comfort is necessary, but I also want something that goes well and is done to a fast road spec.

At the moment I am leaning towards a 1275GT, as this seems to tick the most boxes for me. I am quite mechanically minded but am searching for something already restored and done well. I would prefer with carbs.

I have also been looking at the old 1275 Cooper S's.

Can anyone please shed some light on what the differences are between these two? And which would be better for what I intend to be use it for? Is there much in it?

Any help's appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

#2 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 02:51 PM

I am fortunate to own a 1275GT which has been totally restored (thanks to Ben at Mill Road garage), it has a Bill Richards 1293 engine, which after running in runs like a dream, and is easy for me to maintain, the ride with 12" wheels and Hi Lo's is reasonably good.

I also own a 1968 Cooper S, which is a totally different animal, the engine is also a 1293, but has a much hairier cam and needs to be kept above 2000RPM to keep it driveable, it has dry suspension and 10" wheels and Hi Lo's, even though the car feels much better in corners the general ride is harsher, so much so that my wife who has a bad back is reluctant to travel in it.

So to summarise IMO, the GT is much more driveable especially long distance, maintenance is easier due to more space under the bonnet, it is also quieter inside.

Edited by JXC Mini GT, 26 December 2023 - 08:37 PM.

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 03:34 PM

Prices for nice 1275GT and MK 1/2/3 Cooper 'S' models are at the top of the mini pyramid. Obviously depends on your budget. I'm fortunate to have both a very original 60s cooper and a more modern (relative term) 90s SPI Cooper. The SPI is a much more useable and practical car for daily driving but that's just my opinion. There are lots of really nicely restored and uprated Rover Coopers around at half the price of a good 1275GT and quarter the price of an original 'S'. That said my MK2 is the best for smiles per mile.

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 26 December 2023 - 03:44 PM

The MPi is, probably, the most daily driveable.

You may want to consider the advance of ULEZ type zones impact on ownership, though.

If it's a risk, plump for a Historic Vehicle (forty-one, or more year's old). Saves on VED, too.

#5 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 27 December 2023 - 02:57 AM

In standard spec a Mk1/2 Cooper S has much more power than a 1275GT. They are also a bit more raw, most had no synchro on first gear, solid mounted subframes etc

Of course if you buy one now most will have been rebuilt to some extent and modified, so each car can be quite different

My best advice would be to go to your local club events and have a look, ask questions and go along for a drive. Most mini owners are very helpful and happy to help you out

#6 Joepotato99

Joepotato99

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2023 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the input guys, very helpful of you.

I think like Timmy said, at this stage a restored one of these cars will have been done a certain way, and likely a bit divergent from the original.

Good shout on going to a local club event, please can you tell me where it's best to look these up? I'm in South Somerset.

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 December 2023 - 09:37 AM

All good advice and all I’d say is, put the miles in, don’t be put off if it’s hundreds of miles to see a car, as the more minis you drive, will obviously give you a better idea.

I own a 60s Mk1, in Cooper Spec and a 1990 Rover Cooper. Both have their charms and pitfalls, it would be hard to choose between them, also it’s my personal taste.

As a word of caution, a friend of my Dad always wanted a Lotus Cortina, and in the 00’s he had some money, now in his mid 50s, thought he’d treat himself.

Found a minter in a dealer, right colour and everything. Took home, drove it a few times and was throughly disappointed and sold it a month later at a loss. I’m sure this happens a lot, just to hammer the point home the need to drive whatever it is you want on an extended test drive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users