13 replies to this topic

#1 Redroom

Redroom

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 05:21 PM

Can anyone advise I have a Rover mini 1275 1996 I have had it rebored +60thou over. I am try to by a tapered piston ring compressor tool.
Many thanks Ian

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 05:49 PM

like this ?

https://www.swiftune...-tool-1275.html

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:36 PM

MED sell them too.

Attached Files

Edited by imack, 10 January 2024 - 06:37 PM.

#4 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:02 PM

Why don't you just buy a sprung steel type, they work perfectly plus you will save yourself £30.00.

Shooter

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:44 PM

A Jubilee clip works quite well, as long as you oil everything well and don't get it any where near too tight.

Practice putting your old pistons into the new bores.

#6 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 07:48 PM

Why don't you just buy a sprung steel type, they work perfectly plus you will save yourself £30.00.

Shooter

Ahh, but the tapered type are a joy to use. I'd never want to use the sprung steel type again.  - But I agree they are pricey

#7 Java_Green

Java_Green

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 08:18 PM

Shooter

Ahh, but the tapered type are a joy to use. I'd never want to use the sprung steel type again. - But I agree they are pricey

So they are tapered... - thats the thing. Still a bit pricey. I will probably do them myself on the lathe.

#8 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 10:01 PM

Yes, the taper type piston ring compressor are efficient in use but are expensive and size specific, and as such not normally the choice of many who encounter varying sizes when engine rebuilding.

A quality spring type piston ring compressor is a good tool and poses no problems for the engine rebuilder as long as a sensible approach is used when compressing the piston rings and fitting the pistons in the bores

Fit the piston rings and ensure no ring ends are in a line, fit the spring compressor and tension it enough to pinch the piston rings completely but still allow the piston to slide in the tool using sufficient oil to lubricate it.

Offer the piston to the dressed top edge of the bore and gently tap the crown of the piston until it is fully fitted in the bore.

In my opinion the taper type offers no great advantage over a good quality spring type tool.  

#9 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 11:37 PM

Shooter

Ahh, but the tapered type are a joy to use. I'd never want to use the sprung steel type again. - But I agree they are pricey

So they are tapered... - thats the thing. Still a bit pricey. I will probably do them myself on the lathe.

no doubt whatsoever you can do it,  but how much is a lump of stock steel bar the right diameter

steel-bar.jpg

add a bit of shipping.. and what is your time worth, it's not like you can bang that out in 10minutes..  and they're not exactly asking hundreds of pounds 

Edited by stuart bowes, 10 January 2024 - 11:44 PM.

#10 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 06:38 AM

Theg are nice things to have and no doubt use, as long as the engine you are building is of the appropriate bore size, my latest build is a 100 over 998 so no chance there. I have a lathe and could have made one but didn't even think of it, as I have a sprung compressor, in this case I think it may be a case of want over need. But hey your money and you can spend it on what you want.

Shooter

#11 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:22 AM

Theg are nice things to have and no doubt use, as long as the engine you are building is of the appropriate bore size, my latest build is a 100 over 998 so no chance there. I have a lathe and could have made one but didn't even think of it, as I have a sprung compressor, in this case I think it may be a case of want over need. But hey your money and you can spend it on what you want.

Shooter

My last build was 100 over 1098 so would have had to be a special. The sprung type works well though.

#12 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 12:05 PM

Wiseco make tapered ring compressors in many sizes. If you've never used a tapered ring compressor, you won't understand what all the fuss is about. https://www.wiseco.c...ng-compressors/

#13 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:01 PM

indeed I got a tapered rig compressor a little while ago... omg... total convert!

#14 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 05:14 PM

Once you've used one it makes you reluctant to go back to any other type of piston ring compressor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users