Photo

Pick Up Chassis Strength Vs Estate (Parts And Details)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 m998

m998

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 09:52 PM

Hello everyone.

I want to know the difference in the chassis panels between the Pickup and the "Estate" series.

Obvsly I do not mean the lacking of the roof, instead the various panels to gave the strength back.

Since I live in Italy, I think it's better to convert a local one, maybe a Clubman estate, easier to find

Any help is appreciated

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 09:59 PM

Hello everyone.

I want to know the difference in the chassis panels between the Pickup and the "Estate" series.

Obvsly I do not mean the lacking of the roof, instead the various panels to gave the strength back.

Since I live in Italy, I think it's better to convert a local one, maybe a Clubman estate, easier to find

Any help is appreciated

The pickup and the Clubman estate are very different and so its going to be a lot of work to change it if you want it to look correct.  If you just want it to look a but like a pickup and aren't bothered about the details its going to be a lot easier.

It would also be easier if you started with an early estate with external hinges.

The main differences at the rear are:

The pickup has a ribbed load floor (the same as a van) whereas the estate has a boot floor with a spare wheel well.

The pickup has a series of reinforcing panels under the load floor to give it more strength.

The inner sills have an extension piece at the rear so they join the load floor.

The rear quarters on a pickup have a return on the top that gives them strength and they have a strengthening piece from the middle of each rear quarter to the top of the inner wheel arch.

The rear sections that fit to the rear quarters (where the rear lights are) have a strengthening piece to give the corner post some strength.

There is a rear bulkhead behind the seats which closes the cab off and provides strength as well.

Other things are that the roof on the pickup specific to the pickup and isn't ridged.

The doors on all pickups have external hinges unlike the clubman estate.

There are probably loads of other bits and pieces but in summary its quite an undertaking and just the panel costs to do it properly would probably make it better to buy a genuine one.

Edited by Homersimpson, 10 January 2024 - 10:00 PM.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 January 2024 - 10:58 PM

1976 Mini Pickup Shell

The Mk1 Forum has a rust free Pickup shell and most parts to build listed for sale. Price reduced to £6950 :-

http://mk1-forum.net...=332572#p332572

Edited by mab01uk, 10 January 2024 - 11:00 PM.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 11:08 AM

Hello everyone.

Any help is appreciated

The pickup and the Clubman estate are very different and so its going to be a lot of work to change it if you want it to look correct.  If you just want it to look a but like a pickup and aren't bothered about the details its going to be a lot easier.

It would also be easier if you started with an early estate with external hinges.

The main differences at the rear are:

The pickup has a ribbed load floor (the same as a van) whereas the estate has a boot floor with a spare wheel well.

The pickup has a series of reinforcing panels under the load floor to give it more strength.

The inner sills have an extension piece at the rear so they join the load floor.

The rear quarters on a pickup have a return on the top that gives them strength and they have a strengthening piece from the middle of each rear quarter to the top of the inner wheel arch.

The rear sections that fit to the rear quarters (where the rear lights are) have a strengthening piece to give the corner post some strength.

There is a rear bulkhead behind the seats which closes the cab off and provides strength as well.

Other things are that the roof on the pickup specific to the pickup and isn't ridged.

The doors on all pickups have external hinges unlike the clubman estate.

There are probably loads of other bits and pieces but in summary its quite an undertaking and just the panel costs to do it properly would probably make it better to buy a genuine one.

And not forgetting the whole shape of the back different on a pick up, with the tailgate and rear corners being vertical as opposed to angled on the estate (and van).

The rear inner wheel arches are also slightly different and 'normal' ones don't fit well to a pick-up floor but can (and have to) be adapted.

Converting an estate to a van is fairly straightforward, converting either to a pick up is much more difficult.

#5 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:47 AM

Quite a few Clubman vans (an aussie model) have been converted to utes (pickups) over here and they never look good. They always look like a compromise and would be better left alone.

#6 m998

m998

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 10:21 PM

Thanks everyone.

The infos that @Homersimpson gave was the one that I wanted.

I cannot buy a shell, cause here is illegal to reshell cars.

Never saw a Clubman pickup, but since the work is massive, and do not look good I'm not sure

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users