Photo
- - - - -

'78 Mini: Headlamp / Gauges And Horn Suddenly Stopped Working..

Best Answer KTS , 12 January 2024 - 05:14 PM

..according to my haynes manual the horn and headlight switch share a common supply to T3 on the fuse box - headlight feed is daisy chained off T3 and the horn supply off T4 (fused link to T3)

are you getting a good supply to the fusebox terminal (usually from the starter solenoid) ?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deadbolt

deadbolt

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 04:25 AM

Hello all,

I have a '78 mini, that was sadly rewired in a poor manner.. But my headlamps worked for years and recently went out along with my gauge lights, then I noticed the horn went as well with them.

I know the lamps aren't fused, but I put in a new fuse-box, fuses, soldered new spade connectors and such anyway (she needed new fusing either way). But that didn't help a bit, I already cleaned the 3-way switch for the gauges, side/head-lamps and saw no change there, which makes sense since my horn is also disabled due to this issue and unrelated to that switch.
I haven't found any burned out wiring or anything as well. Plus, my brake and signal lights still work just fine.

Aside from replacing the stalk on the steering column soon, and 'hoping' that will solve the problem, what else should I look for if that doesn't fix the issue at hand?

Thank you all for your time..

-Carson

#2 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:28 PM

Does the light switch work? You can check by directing electricity from the live supply to each of the outputs.

Try adding a new earth from the loom feeding the headlamps to the body. I always get rid of the bullet connectors on the (British) O/S  headlamp loom.

The horn may just be a loose connection, but if its not that, and the fuses are OK, you may need to replace the column switch.

I don't know if you have a Haynes, but if you just trace the electricity's route, you will get there. (eventually)

Good luck

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 05:14 PM   Best Answer

..according to my haynes manual the horn and headlight switch share a common supply to T3 on the fuse box - headlight feed is daisy chained off T3 and the horn supply off T4 (fused link to T3)

are you getting a good supply to the fusebox terminal (usually from the starter solenoid) ?

#4 deadbolt

deadbolt

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 09:30 PM

Thank you guys for the help and all of your suggestions,

I installed a new column stalk today and, well..still no lights or horn. So I moved my way towards the solenoid, cut all of the connectors mounted to it and soldered new connectors on (the old ones appeared to have been simply crimped, old connectors)..and voila! Everything works great now. I'm sure all of the connections were working, but just not a solid enough connection to handle the full load of the head-lamps and such.

Thank you!

-Carson

Edited by deadbolt, 13 January 2024 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users