#1 tommyboymini

tommyboymini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 05:50 PM

Hello All,

My name is Tom. I live in the eastern part of USA. I currently do not own a mini. About 10 years ago I was in Boston and there was a "mini" mini car show. The car show (also the original movie The Italian Job) only increased my infatuation with classic minis. My wife agreed to get me one for my 50th birthday... I just turned 49. I recently saw what I thought would be a nice restoration project on FB marketplace, until I posted the pictures I received from the seller on reddit. It would have been a money pit unfortunately. So one of the users guided me to this forum so that I could learn more about what to look for when buying one. 

I don't think I have a favorite model yet (Austin, Morris, Mini-Cooper). Although, I don't care for the styling of the Clubman (no offense). There are so many to choose from. When the time comes, it will be what is available in my price range. Hopefully sometime this year, I will be able to post a picture of my new (to me) mini.

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:57 PM

welcome :)  you may find, depending on your budget, that 'money pit' minis are pretty much the only option, fair to say that's probably true of most classic cars

what the mini has as an advantage though over other classic cars is very easily obtainable parts, including every panel you will need, at quite reasonable cost, and because it's a very simple design and all the big seams are on the outside it's really easy to cut off and replace stuff

gets a little more complicated with the main floor pan section where rust is common especially at the front but that's replaceable in sections if you're not overly concerned with 'perfection' and 'originality' and you just want a nice solid car.  having to remove the whole thing obviously requires a bit of planning and a lot of bracing to stop it wobbling about

if you look at the pics on the first page of my build (link below) and the start of other peoples as well (https://www.theminif...0-mini-saloons/) there are a number of pretty common rust spots to familiarise yourself with

I'm not overly concerned about the full list of different specs and all the differences with the models myself but if you are then people on here WILL be able to answer those questions it's honestly pretty impressive what people can tell you down to the last part number and years of manufacture

also I say this to all car people I meet or talk to online, look up project Binky on youtube for quality mini related entertainment 

good luck with it, hope to see a new diary getting added soon

Edited by stuart bowes, 19 January 2024 - 10:02 PM.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:50 PM

In about 1967, the BMC accountants decided that as paint was expensive, less paint would be applied.

As they pointed out to management, this would be good for sales as the cars would be more likely to rust which meant that the owners would need to buy another new car.

They were correct, the cars rusted and the owners bought a new car ......................... made in Japan.

At 49, if you lived in UK, I'd encourage you to start by buying a new bodyshell and painting it very carefully.  Don't do what I have done;  at 81, I have a dozen Minis that are riddled with tin-worm.

#4 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 20 January 2024 - 07:49 AM

Welcome. You never ever get two minis the same.. all different. Anything mini shaped is welcome and certainly brings a smile to the drivers and passergbys faces..

Keep,it mini shaped.. regardless of badge brand...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users