#16 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 January 2024 - 09:15 AM

However I can also agree with Mini Mad above - what a struggle I had this month to find a fitter who could actually fit tyres to my 10 inch rims.   If there is a next time I will just look for a fully fitted package!

Agreed so started a new thread here.

10" Tyre Fitters - Please Add Any Recommendations For Your Area:-

https://www.theminif...-for-your-area/

Edited by mab01uk, 25 January 2024 - 09:16 AM.

#17 john2502

john2502

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 01:15 PM

Personally as said here they are the only 4 things with contact to the road so I would change them if in any doubt at all. Especially as luckily they're still relatively inexpensive. For the peace of mind at least it's money well spent.

#18 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 25 January 2024 - 01:21 PM

On a positive note mini owners on heremwill now now how to,age tyres and will not get ripped off by garages selling old stock tyres as a new tyre...

#19 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 02:08 PM

Most tyre fitters will not put tyres on rims that are older than 10 years.

Why not? There's nothing wrong with the rims. I didn't have any trouble with that but did need to hunt around a little bit for a fitter who hadn't forgotten how to use tyre levers-- 10" wheels don't fit in the machines most people have any more!

Common sense really, only 4 things that keep you on the road, chancing it with old rubber isn’t the correct way.

That said, I work on £100k plus cars, and it’s scary how some have beyond budget tyres on..

New tyres I agree. But my steel rims were in perfectly good condition.

#20 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 25 January 2024 - 08:11 PM

Most tyre fitters will not put tyres on rims that are older than 10 years.

Why not? There's nothing wrong with the rims. I didn't have any trouble with that but did need to hunt around a little bit for a fitter who hadn't forgotten how to use tyre levers-- 10" wheels don't fit in the machines most people have any more!
Common sense really, only 4 things that keep you on the road, chancing it with old rubber isn’t the correct way.

That said, I work on £100k plus cars, and it’s scary how some have beyond budget tyres on..
New tyres I agree. But my steel rims were in perfectly good condition.
His initial post was just worded ambiguously:
“Most tyre fitters will not put tyres on rims that are older than 10 years”

What he meant was;
Most tyre fitters won’t put tyres that are older than 10 years on rims.

Some places here won’t even remount used tyres

#21 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 08:29 PM

grammar eh, it's a minefield

wof90zj4idk51.jpg

#22 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 January 2024 - 09:23 PM

To put this into some perspective. When we bought my lads car Project Erm, that came with some half decent looking Superlight rims with what were "brand new tyres" fitted.

d08723f74d07858b76c33f9cf4eedf6141da68c2

I wanted to restore the wheels before moving them on so took them to my local tyre fitter who i always used. As soon as he went to remove the tyre the bead tore off the tyre. Nothing he did wrong and this then happened to all four "Brand new tyres" they were not mickey mouse cheapo tyres either from what i can remember. Gutted but thats life. Having a good look around the tyres they were starting to perish so it was likely to happen according to the tyre fitter and they had age hardened. Yes they were "brand new never used" but left on the car parked outside in the elements.

Now in the here and now, i took my wifes car a 2017 VW Polo for its MOT last week. ITs very low mileage and the rear tyres are original from the factory. They are starting to crack which was noted on the MOT so will be changed out this year. 7 Years old parked outside so rubber and UV rays dont really like each other.

So old tyres be wary, they have a age limit and it really does matter how they are stored as well.

#23 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 02:02 AM

grammar eh, it's a minefield

wof90zj4idk51.jpg

They only killed 3 pedestrians for my safety? I demand more!

#24 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 04:04 PM

Many thanks to all for the replys 

Its a minefield when 50% say they'll be ok the other 50% say NO.

So I have had a look at the date codes ( should have done this earlier) 

EHX5108 on Yokohamas. If I'm reading this right there tyres from 2008............I think they will be getting disposed of.

As has been said having spent far too much money on this resto it would be a false economy to 

skimp on the tyres now.

Just a note. I, personally havent been rebuilding for 3 years. 

The car spent a while in the body shop, interrupted by COVID, then off to the paint shop for a full respray.

I just have to find the time to put all the parts back on......hopefully all done for the summer......after I get some new tyres.

#25 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 January 2024 - 04:41 PM

Many thanks to all for the replys 

Its a minefield when 50% say they'll be ok the other 50% say NO.

So I have had a look at the date codes ( should have done this earlier) 

EHX5108 on Yokohamas. If I'm reading this right there tyres from 2008............I think they will be getting disposed of.

As has been said having spent far too much money on this resto it would be a false economy to 

skimp on the tyres now.

Just a note. I, personally havent been rebuilding for 3 years. 

The car spent a while in the body shop, interrupted by COVID, then off to the paint shop for a full respray.

I just have to find the time to put all the parts back on......hopefully all done for the summer......after I get some new tyres.

If in any doubt whatsoever change them, we can all leave comments going yah or nay but ultimately its your car. 

My yoko's on my clubby were bought in 2013 (i think) done roughly 1000 miles on them and then i have been restoring the car since 2015. Now they look fine, still soft but will they be ok?? to be honest after spending all the monies that i have they will be changed out. IF they come off without any damage then i might chuck them on a spare set of rims i have but then i will ask the tyre fitter what they think when the time comes.

#26 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 03:31 PM

As a quick follow up.
I have just had the wheels refirbed at Romax in stockton.
The lads there said they wouldn't have refitted the tyres anyway (I already asked them not to).
Their recommendation is tyres 5 years old should be replaced. (they don't sell tyres so have no alterior motive to say this).

So have bought some new ones.

#27 Authi

Authi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: Sanfermini

Posted 06 February 2024 - 05:20 PM

https://www.etonline...ul_Walker_Crash

Paul Walker Crash, 9 years old tyres

Edited by Authi, 06 February 2024 - 05:22 PM.

#28 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 06:38 PM

to be fair though doing over 90mph in a 40 zone was the main cause of that completely unnecessary fiery death, taking a corner way too fast, just showing off like a complete idiot

and the family tried to sue Porsche? erm.. no 

'contributed' maybe but the main lesson is, public road speed limits are in place for a reason, and race tracks have safety barriers / tire walls / marshals with fire extinguishers 

Edited by stuart bowes, 06 February 2024 - 06:41 PM.

#29 [email protected]

[email protected]

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Local Club: Long Island Mini Enthusiasts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 03:51 AM

Just wanted to add a personal experience:  My Nankang SV-2 tires (bought Dec. 2017) did not pass this year's inspection, but not due to tread depth - due to age.  The inspector called me out on it, showed me the age stamp, but gave me a temporary pass until I put new SV-3s on all around.  

So here in the Colonies (USA) the Department of Transportation calls for annual inspections of passenger cars that are not nearly as thorough as MOTs (mostly focused on emissions), but they DO check tire tread depth, appearance AND age, disqualifying any tire over 6 years old.

In fact, Suffolk County, New York, has a local law (No. 54-2008) which prohibits the sale of tires older than 6 years and will fine the seller $500

What's funny is that our commercial trucks don't seem to have the same limitations - see: https://www.mysafety...re-regulations/

"Unlike passenger cars, which require tire replacement after six years regardless of their tread depth or usage, there are no such regulations for trucks."

Also see this paper on the subject which quotes some interesting studies, numbers and recommendations:

"In August 2007, NHTSA issued a Research Report to Congress on Tire Aging, citing in it analysis of an insurance company’s tire claims reported from 2002 through 2006.  The analysis found that 77 percent of the tire claims came from five hot-climate states, including Florida, and that 84 percent of those tire-related claims were for tires over 6 years old."

“Tyres age even if they are used only very little or not at all. A spare wheel which has not been used for six years should be used in emergencies; drive slowly when using such tires."

"NHTSA’s investigation showed that “these tires are experiencing age-dependent fatigue failures that will create an escalating risk of crashes and injuries if they are not removed from service.”"

So it would seem that you don't want to be driving on anything older than 6 years old, no matter how pretty they look.

Edited by [email protected], 29 March 2024 - 03:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users